Author Topic: original speedo cable  (Read 245 times)

Offline graceGt500

original speedo cable
« on: February 05, 2024, 12:42:39 PM »
The original speedo cable plastic covering was melted by the h pipe. Didn't effect it's operation as cable still spins. I have another cable but it's missing the center spiral cable.  Is there a way to remove the cable and gear from one unit and transfer it to the other. I heard there is a ring which is preventing me from pulling it out.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: original speedo cable
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 01:04:41 PM »
The original speedo cable plastic covering was melted by the h pipe. Didn't effect it's operation as cable still spins. I have another cable but it's missing the center spiral cable.  Is there a way to remove the cable and gear from one unit and transfer it to the other. I heard there is a ring which is preventing me from pulling it out.
Yes the plastic gear is held on to the cable with a C clip. The cable inside should slide out of the casing with a little effort . Nothing holds it in the casing once it is seperate from the car. When transferring the inner cable you should lubricate it with graphite powder like the factory did before putting back in the casing . I put some in my hand and slide cable through. I would measure the difference between the two cables to make sure that they are close to the exact same length.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby