Author Topic: 70 Boss 302 WIW?  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Brad46

70 Boss 302 WIW?
« on: April 19, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
I have a client who is looking at a 70 Boss 302 for sale. I haven't seen the car and have no info on it beyond the fact it has a Marti report. Purchase price is in the low 20k range, and he's considering a  having a concours restoration done to the car if he buys it. (yeah, I know there's a lot of variables here)

I've explained a few of the things to understand when he used the term , like the correct replacement parts  needed, date codes, plating, etc etc. So naturally, the topic came up of what a correctly  concours restored Boss 302 would be worth when done. I couldn't answer that accurately, since I don't see too many come up for sale that would fit the term in the strictest sense so I'll leave it to you experts out there.  ???

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
Re: 70 Boss 302 WIW?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 02:28:49 AM »
Of course the 'non-helpful' answer is 'what ever some one is willing to pay'  Figure on 30-40K for substantial body work and paint. To get it concourse (depends as you noted on lots of things) you need all the correct parts - not cheap. If your in it for 60K by the time the dust settles, I'd guess that's pushing the upper edge in todays market of what you can get for it (get your money back basically) unless it is highly optioned, with matching numbers. If so, add another 10 - 15K in value. 75K - 85K tops for a primo (non BJ auctioned car). Again, see my first statement ;)
Rick
Rick Maginnis
April, '70 Dearborn Boss 302
0F02G18xxxx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 12:10:57 AM »
You should try over on the Boss 302 Registry forum and you'll find ALLOT of different opinions there - especially in this market ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brad46

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 11:43:06 PM »
In other words to pay someone like me to spend 1500-2000 hrs plus parts etc makes it a labor of love. ::)

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:04:18 AM »
I think one of the biggest mistakes people make when they want to restore a classic car (no matter what brand) is if they buy a basket case they will save money and this is the furthest thing from the truth if, especially if you are trying to restore a car to a concourse level. The best bargain in today's market is a nice restored car and I would bet you could find a very nice concoures boss 302 in the 75K range with no problem. On the other hand you take a rusty car with several parts missing you now have to deal with reproduction parts and all their issues, locating correct and even date correct parts that get very expensive, extensive labor hours in repairs that few people realize (especially when they watch shows like OVERHAULIN) and the time it takes to put it all together. I restore my cars myself and would not have it any other way because I want to say I did it and do enjoy most of the work as it can be very rewarding, however if a person is not able to do his own work or wants to he will be way ahead by buying a completed car. Another thing I believe is the better car you start with the better car you finish with, just my thoughts on the subject.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 12:56:12 PM »
I think one of the biggest mistakes people make when they want to restore a classic car (no matter what brand) is if they buy a basket case they will save money and this is the furthest thing from the truth if, especially if you are trying to restore a car to a concourse level. The best bargain in today's market is a nice restored car and I would bet you could find a very nice concoures boss 302 in the 75K range with no problem. On the other hand you take a rusty car with several parts missing you now have to deal with reproduction parts and all their issues, locating correct and even date correct parts that get very expensive, extensive labor hours in repairs that few people realize (especially when they watch shows like OVERHAULIN) and the time it takes to put it all together. I restore my cars myself and would not have it any other way because I want to say I did it and do enjoy most of the work as it can be very rewarding, however if a person is not able to do his own work or wants to he will be way ahead by buying a completed car. Another thing I believe is the better car you start with the better car you finish with, just my thoughts on the subject.

You are correct, but many guys buy the basket case because they don't have the money to spend upfront for a completed car. Gets them in the game and can pay as they go.