Author Topic: 67 Fog Lights Scott Drake vs. FoMoCo  (Read 2329 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
67 Fog Lights Scott Drake vs. FoMoCo
« on: June 17, 2016, 06:05:56 PM »
You will probably notice most of the differences in the pictures.

Since so many reproductions are out there on the market I thought I would show these variations to make it easier to spot original equipment fog lights vs at least the Scott Drake ones.

Notice how the internal bezel ring is riveted-in on the Drake reproductions...An EASY "spot it" on the show field ;)
The chrome bezel (which I will use for now) actually does a good job matching, well except for the "Scott Drake" embossed script (inside lower of image) :)

Maybe if anyone knows, were the ball-sockets painted from the factory? (mounting swivel base) on these FoMoCo lamps? Mine were repainted years ago so I cannot vouch for what was original.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:59:03 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

Re: 67 Fog Lights Scott Drake vs. FoMoCo
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 07:33:37 PM »
After 40 years (I did my 65 and 66 fog lamps about 10 years ago, they are the same), I bead blasted and painted the entire housing Ford Argent - rust. I made a "device" to remove the internal rings and painted them semi-gloss black. The formed spacers at the nut end I painted Ford Argent, the nuts I got gold zinc plated.
Note: 68 fog lamp housing have a different mounting angle, the swivel base part.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 07:45:28 PM »
Thanks Jim, as always...very helpful. I pulled the rings without any special tool (maybe need one to put them back ??? ) Looking at my original hardware, it looks as though the nuts were phosphate & oil while the cone-washer for the swivel looks more like it was silver zinc, similar to the reproduction ones shown. My internal ring is acually a rather glossy black, that much I can make out very well from the back side of the ring. I have a very similar sheen satin black that should be about perfect for those...now getting them back together without scratching them...maybe another story. :D
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:45:19 PM »
Richard,
Somewhere in my vast collection of stuff are the two "arms" I made to fit in the slots of that inner retainer. I can't find them, but I do remember that I used a large pair of channel locks (Craftsman) to persuade the ring to compress, both coming out and going in.
A correction, the formed spacers (C5ZZ-15251-A) I have are clear zinc plated, not painted argent.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 03:09:28 AM »
You will probably notice most of the differences in the pictures.
Very interesting comparism.

But honestly, can't see what is FOMOCO vs Scott Drake since I'm not really familiar with. Possible to "mark" the differences?
Thx
Ralf
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 07:51:47 AM »
Very interesting comparism.

But honestly, can't see what is FOMOCO vs Scott Drake since I'm not really familiar with. Possible to "mark" the differences?
Thx
Ralf

The most notable difference (while assembled on a car for example) is the external rivets around the painted bucket & on the wiring ends, the plugs (bullet connectors) have a fatter molded connector end. Then looking at the hardware, the bright zinc washer is smaller on the Drake ones than the (worn down) silver zinc washer of the original ones. The mounting nut differs some in appearance and finish as well. Original looks phosphate & oil, replacement is bright zinc.
In the pictures, I have items grouped together, original vs. Drake and though I am no huge computer savvy artist who can add arrows to point out the differences, I thought you could see those difference easily.
Richard Urch

Offline sgl66

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 12:41:33 AM »

Maybe if anyone knows, were the ball-sockets painted from the factory? (mounting swivel base) on these FoMoCo lamps? Mine were repainted years ago so I cannot vouch for what was original.
Picture of an unrestored set of originals, it appears the ball-sockets received the same coating as the housing. I also have a couple sets of repo lights (neither is Drake), one set has the rivets in the housing, the other doesn't (but it has different rivets holding the ball-socket). Besides other details pointed out already, another difference I see on the originals is a rubber nub from the injection mold on the grommet in the housing.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 12:49:53 PM »
FOLLOWUP:

I assembled the original fog lamp housing and internal ring together WITHOUT any special tool needed and nothing note-worthy about scratching the paint. I also bought a pair of Scott Drake reproduction bulbs (clear) since mine had some light sandblasting in the lenses (noticeable only when illuminated, but hey...after perfection, right)

SUMMARY of comparison (at least for use on my 67 application):

* Drake Chrome Bezels & Bulbs are a very good PASS for matching original pieces, very difficult to see how any way a Judge would notice any difference. (except maybe on Thoroughbred projects)
* Drake supplied hardware and bulb housing (painted) are IMHO a FAIL
Richard Urch