Author Topic: TESTING Evapo-Rust  (Read 5878 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
TESTING Evapo-Rust
« on: June 23, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
Has anyone determined a way to check containers of USED Evapo-Rust, need to see if it's good or bad...I know several bottles I have are at least weak cause the NEW stuff works great and the older stuff...well, I never know till it DOESN'T work! (then I've lost a day or two it could have been in a "good batch")
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline AU SNK

Re: TESTING Evapo-Rust
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 03:02:54 PM »
I think when it turns black or a real dark brown it is no good anymore.
Unrestored 66 Metuchen, NJ Fastback 6T09C2435XX
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 06:00:28 PM »
Nope have not come up with a test. The test might "use up" what ever good qualities were left int he batch. Just a possibility
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 08:46:09 PM »
I bought a small jug of Evapo-Rust a few years ago, and based upon what people said here, I expected it to work fairly rapidly.  Nosirree...at least 24 hours at room temperature to attack moderate rust and even then it's not done.  I've always wondered whether I got a bad batch.  I'd love to have a test to see if it is bad.  I'm reluctant to buy another jug...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 02:22:30 AM »
I bought a small jug of Evapo-Rust a few years ago, and based upon what people said here, I expected it to work fairly rapidly.  Nosirree...at least 24 hours at room temperature to attack moderate rust and even then it's not done.  I've always wondered whether I got a bad batch.  I'd love to have a test to see if it is bad.  I'm reluctant to buy another jug...

midlife, what is the temperature of the evaporust ? I have a fish tank heater to maintain 26 degrees C / 79 degrees F, that makes a huge difference. Keep it covered to minimise evaporarion.

Has anyone determined a way to check containers of USED Evapo-Rust, need to see if it's good or bad...I know several bottles I have are at least weak cause the NEW stuff works great and the older stuff...well, I never know till it DOESN'T work! (then I've lost a day or two it could have been in a "good batch")

67gtasanjose, I have used evaporust for years, it will get darker in appearance and be slow to act as you described, also sometimes it will leave a "cloudy" film on the steel, time to use a new lot.
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 05:33:53 AM »

Always found that a 24 soak was what was needed and easiest to time. Just dip it and forget it. Restorations have never been a sprint ;)

Just used a half a jug the other day to clean some garden clippers and pruning tools that had been left out or exposed in an area where I stored dry Chlorine

Soaked for 24 hours (approx) rinsed them then oiled them with some garage spring oil I had on the shelf. Metal is darkened now but all the rust is gone and the stuff worked after being shored out in the weather 110 plus  on and off for months
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 08:08:41 AM »
Temperature of all uses of my Evapo-rust has been at 76*F.  Yes, it seems to take 24 hours+ to do anything useful.  Perhaps I was mis-led by the wording on the package.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 09:56:47 AM »
I ordered the 5 gallon bucket last month and just finished it all.
Very expensive way to get the job done in general. Once the stuff is used and dirty it will not work completely. It was great for preserving a set of parts I wanted to use for improving a survivor car. I had to continually add fresh fluid to get it completely rust free.
This stuff will etch parts though as a secondary use for storage to prevent them from rusting farther. If you have parts with surface rust that are painted this stuff is great like pulleys, brackets etc. Great for preserving original parts and cleaning up hardware etc that is plated. Its just a rust convertor like phospho etc

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »
It's a big time saver for parts that need to be blasted, especially fasteners. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 02:49:04 PM »
It's a big time saver for parts that need to be blasted, especially fasteners.
If you are going to finish the items quickly, sure. However, Evapo-Rust is a self fulfilling product - it removes rust, and to keep the items rust free, you need to reapply Evapo-Rust. I have many pounds of hardware items that have no rust after being tumbled in metal filings and dipped in kerosene to remove the filing dust and apply a petroleum based protector. These were done several years ago. Granted, I'm in California where it's not known for being humid. In support of Evapo-Rust, I used the spray on technique to clean a 64-66 Mustang body roll-around frame. Every half hour for a day I sprayed on Evapo-Rust, wire brushed and then rinsed when I was done. Then I painted the frame. Be selective in your methods.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »
DEAL ON EVAPORUST THROUGH WALMART!!!

!
$14.88 per gallon, free shipping over $50 orders & look for other deals on larger quantities at:
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Evaporust
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 06:52:33 PM »
5 gallon bucket is the way to go with this stuff. 

Thanks for the link!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 11:00:11 PM »
If only some of us lived closer to one another - we might cut a 55 drum of the stuff. Did that once with the guys at work with commercial strength concentrate Round-up (cut it up in 1 gallon jugs. Thing I still have a little left 25 years later 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HNU6CHU?psc=1

http://www.orisonmarketing.com/evapo-rust.html

Just a couple of examples - price varies ALLOT
Jeff Speegle

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 05:54:59 PM »
I buy it by the 5 gallon bucket on Amazon. If you have an Amazon Prime membership, you can get free shipping from many of the suppliers and with a little shopping around, find a good (or more reasonable) price as  there are quite a few suppliers of it on Amazon. I have found that to be far less expensive than buying single gallons at a local auto supply store, etc.

A tip I learned from Marcus Anghel is to buy a reasonable quantity of it (several 5 gallon buckets at least) and store it all in a plastic garbage can...similar approach to the 55 gal drum but a little less spendy. That gives you a vessel large enough to dip some fairly large parts into as well as being able to do a lot of parts at once...which is extremely handy if you have a full blown restoration underway given that, as mentioned, a 24 hour dip is really best for complete removal of the corrosion.

Offline ng8264723

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 03:12:01 PM »
Rust 911 is $65 and it makes 16 gallons.  The stuff works awesome!!!!!!!!!!!