Author Topic: 1969 351 w engine gauge feed  (Read 2142 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

1969 351 w engine gauge feed
« on: June 25, 2016, 09:42:05 PM »
This could be 69/70 or electric, lets try this. On the 3 wire engine gauge feed, what is the correct termination on the wire wrap? Is there the black cloth tape wrapped around the end to prevent unravaling?

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: 1969 351 w engine gauge feed
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 10:18:55 PM »
NPD's on-line catalog has the 69 harnesses wrapped in the black plastic style tape.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/catalog/Mustang_Engine_Gauge_Feed-2876-1.html
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 07:19:43 PM »
Yes I know that, bought it. Is it right though? Seen too many repo pieces not right.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 07:41:32 PM »
This could be 69/70 or electric, lets try this. On the 3 wire engine gauge feed, what is the correct termination on the wire wrap? Is there the black cloth tape wrapped around the end to prevent unravaling?

As mentioned in other wire loom threads there were a number of contractors and each had maybe hundreds of sub contractors who assembled these looms. Looking at this subject a few years back (Mustang looms in general) there were three methods used by these subs to end or retain the loos end of the wrapping of the loom. Black fabric tape or a daub of sealer were the two I recall from that research. So IMHO there is not one correct answer for all

BTW remember (if it applies) the short adapter loom between the firewall plug and the engine feed loom ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 10:23:29 PM »
NPD's on-line catalog has the 69 harnesses wrapped in the black plastic style tape.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/catalog/Mustang_Engine_Gauge_Feed-2876-1.html
My Dearborn April 69 351w 3 wire harness (original) is black electrical. No fabric, and no visible sealer.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 01:12:17 AM »
My Dearborn April 69 351w 3 wire harness (original) is black electrical. No fabric, and no visible sealer.

Guess we should mention to NPD that the wrap was not tape originally on the looms  :)

So your Dearborn loom was ended terminated with a simple wrap of vinyl electrical tape?   Thanks - that was likely number three I mentioned above. Still a bit of jet lag from all the trips/shows this month
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »
Guess we should mention to NPD that the wrap was not tape originally on the looms  :)

So your Dearborn loom was ended terminated with a simple wrap of vinyl electrical tape?   Thanks - that was likely number three I mentioned above. Still a bit of jet lag from all the trips/shows this month
Are you making fun of me for my description or did I say something wrong?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 04:54:32 PM »
If you unravel the covering you will find that it does not have adhesive like electrical tape . The typical wireing wrap is meant to streach and grip as it is wound around the harness and hold that way which is why they are terminated by friction cloth tape, adhesive etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 05:19:59 PM »
If you unravel the covering you will find that it does not have adhesive like electrical tape . The typical wireing wrap is meant to streach and grip as it is wound around the harness and hold that way which is why they are terminated by friction cloth tape, adhesive etc.
Thank you Bob, but I was asking Jeff. Would have been nice if he simply said that I must have meant "wrap", not "tape". My point in posting was to give a description of my original harness, that it did not have any fabric or special wrappings on either end. This was to confirm what he was talking about in his previous post for the benefit of CALE II. Yes, its a wrap as there is not that sticky adhesive like true electrical tape.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 05:43:06 PM »

Neither

How I read the second post was that NPD was selling a wire loom  that was "wrapped in the black plastic style tape"

I took it that you had taken that from the description from the site since you included the link to the NPD page.  Since plenty of people reading the post just thought it should be mentioned that the use of "tape" as a descriptive word for the wrap might mislead readers

Sorry if you took my post in any way other than how it was meant. Think everyone that is on forums understands how things can be misread or responses improved if put in someone else's "shoes"

Back to the subject. Could we see a picture of how your loom is finished off since the wrap will not stay wrapped without some help from something?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:36:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 06:13:09 PM »
Thank you Bob, but I was asking Jeff. Would have been nice if he simply said that I must have meant "wrap", not "tape". My point in posting was to give a description of my original harness, that it did not have any fabric or special wrappings on either end. This was to confirm what he was talking about in his previous post for the benefit of CALE II. Yes, its a wrap as there is not that sticky adhesive like true electrical tape.
Sorry I didn't know you were calling him out but thought that you didn't understand the difference because of your choice of words. My mistake.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby