Author Topic: Easing Into Markings - Sept 64 Dearborn  (Read 4252 times)

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
Easing Into Markings - Sept 64 Dearborn
« on: September 01, 2014, 05:32:49 PM »
I want to ease into putting markings on my Dearborn built 1965 Fastback, Build date 9/2/64, PS, PB, 289 2V, No AC, C4 transmission and standard suspension. 

I first decided to target the front coil springs and rear leaf springs.  I believe the part number for the front coil springs is C5ZZ-5310-C.  Based on my research (Online and the Tom Corcoran Restoration Guide.), I'm pretty confident that the front coil springs get 1 gray stripe on each spring.  Can anybody recommend a shade of gray that is acceptable?  Also, roughly how wide would the paint markings be running down the spring?  I understand that the markings would be brushed on the springs.

I'm at a disadvantage with respect to the rear leaf springs.  They are not the original leaf springs that came with the car so I don't think posting part numbers (if any) would help.  I found this on VMF:

650lb rating: Fastbacks/Convertibles (6 cyl. & 8 cyl. 260, 289 2/B, 289 4/B)
Stamping: C4ZA 5556-B-D-F-N-U
Color codes: 2 green dots or stripes

Based on some other postings on VMF and this forum, green or possibly white stripes seem appropriate for my application.  I'm replacing the springs with the Eaton aftermarket springs.  I've stripped the paint off the springs and will refinish as recommended on this forum.  Any help would be appreciated.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:51:18 PM by J_Speegle »
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline ChrisV289

Re: Easing Into Markings
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:50:43 PM »
I have a SJ fB built 10/29/64 with an A code 289.  I have the original leave springs on my car and have 2 green dots....hope this helps....
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 12:51:47 AM »
Yup, every little bit helps.  Thank you.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 01:09:41 AM »
I want to ease into putting markings on my 1965 Fastback, Build date 9/2/64, PS, PB, 289 2V, No AC and standard suspension. 

I first decided to target the front coil springs and rear leaf springs.  I believe the part number for the front coil springs is C5ZZ-5310-C.  Based on my research (Online and the Tom Corcoran Restoration Guide.), I'm pretty confident that the front coil springs get 1 gray stripe on each spring.

Unfortunately these references are likely (they are in Corcoran's book) based on the 72 or 75 version of the MPC which often focuses on what was available for replacement at the time rather than what was original to the cars. Sometimes some of the details match some times they don't in my experience

With that said the gray mark appears to be possible for your application 

Can anybody recommend a shade of gray that is acceptable?  Also, roughly how wide would the paint markings be running down the spring?  I understand that the markings would be brushed on the springs.

Its currently understood that the supplier painted the springs and many indicate my their pattern than they were striped out of the car either upside down (from how they were installed) or on their side. Often I find them done with a fairly dry brush so that the edge is ragged on the end (top) of each coil as the brush moves across them all in a single pass. Drips often travel upward (or look that way one the spring is installed) or at look that way on many examples

We've locked out finding an original example that should help with the general tint as well as size

I'm at a disadvantage with respect to the rear leaf springs.  They are not the original leaf springs that came with the car so I don't think posting part numbers (if any) would help.  I found this on VMF:

Another quote from the MPC :(

Agreed we could be much more assured at the application if we could match the stamped number from the short leaf to other known examples with marks

It would help if we knew what transmission you car came with as I'm seeing two possibilities

Though how they are marked can differ from plant to plant in some examples I believe that your cars build period will not effect that this time
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:48:24 AM »
Its been tough researching the front and rear springs.  I'm very leery of information I find on the internet and I'm finding in short order that many publications are suspect also.  I've spent many hours checking and double checking information regarding the various parts I've been replacing and restoring.  It seems like every part on these early mustangs has a story. 

Thanks so much for the coil spring info.  A picture is worth a thousand words.  Much appreciated.

Sorry I forgot to mention that my fastback was built in Dearborn and has a C4 transmission.  Wifey was on me at the time of the original post to get the grill going to cook some food and I mistakenly forgot that info.  My bad. 

At this point in time, I'm willing to go with the markings that would have been "typical" for the standard rear leaf springs in my 65 fastback.  I have nothing to go by at this point.  Bummer. 

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
Hi Mark,

One thing that would help you somewhat is finding the build sheet for the car.  If you haven't already looked you may find one wrapped around your main wiring harness (behind the dash) using a black fabric based tape.  That would at least get you the spring code.  Given a lot of the build sheet data is incomplete/unknown and is being pieced together by enthusiasts like ourselves the build sheet information has some gaps in it too. 

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »
Unfortunately, a build sheet was never found.   :(

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 02:46:19 AM »
Thanks everybody for your input.  Awesome!  I think I'm good to go with the front coil springs (Thanks Jeff.).  The rear springs I'm not so sure.  Based on what ChrisV289 posted, it sounds like 2 green markings are the heavy favorite.  I'm not so sure about stripes or dots but at this point, I'm leaning towards stripes.  Would anyone else like to weigh in on this?  Any input would be appreciated.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 04:20:23 AM »
.............. I'm not so sure about stripes or dots but at this point, I'm leaning towards stripes. .........

Not sure why ;)   I would go with dots/daubs given when you car was built
Jeff Speegle

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »
Rear Leaf Springs...

I have a SJ fB built 10/29/64 with an A code 289.  I have the original leave springs on my car and have 2 green dots....hope this helps....

.....Though how they are marked can differ from plant to plant in some examples I believe that your cars build period will not effect that this time....

.....I'm not so sure about stripes or dots but at this point, I'm leaning towards stripes.

Not sure why ;)   I would go with dots/daubs given when you car was built

Ahhh...  Haaa!!!   The light bulb just went on.  I'm going with the 2 green dabs on the rear leaf springs. Anybody have an original  picture available showing the location of the paint dabs?

I know this topic has been beaten to death but getting direct feedback from a knowledgeable group of people is much better than trying to figure it out by reading through the tons of internet posts and written material that in some cases is wrong.  Much appreciated!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 01:29:32 PM »
Rear Leaf Springs...

Ahhh...  Haaa!!!   The light bulb just went on.  I'm going with the 2 green dabs on the rear leaf springs. Anybody have an original  picture available showing the location of the paint dabs?

I know this topic has been beaten to death but getting direct feedback from a knowledgeable group of people is much better than trying to figure it out by reading through the tons of internet posts and written material that in some cases is wrong.  Much appreciated!
Here is a example on a 65 GT350 which location typically the same.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 01:42:02 PM »
Thanks Bob.  Got it.  2 dabs towards the rear of the smallest leaf.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 03:13:23 PM »
Thanks Bob.  Got it.  2 dabs towards the rear of the smallest leaf.
Yes that is typical.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »
Do you one better ;) since marking can differ from plant to plant or because plants had different suppliers much of the time

65 Dearborn double green daubs/spray

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:55:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 06:07:02 PM »
Better picture of Dearborn daubs.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!