Author Topic: Suspension finishes - bracket too dark? rest ok?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline livetoride60

Suspension finishes - bracket too dark? rest ok?
« on: November 13, 2014, 12:18:09 PM »
Finished a few parts off the fronts suspension for my Oct 64 SJ Fastback.  I think the spring, strut rod, and steering stop finishes look pretty good.  I was wondering if the caliper bracket came out too dark?  It is supposed to be oil quenched I believe, like the spindle.  Many spindles I see on finished cars look like they are painted with Eastwood's Detail Gray.  From what I understand from this forum, original tie rods, link rods, spindles, etc were darker like this.  Thoughts?

Bracket on the left in 2nd pic is the finished product.  Machined surfaces have not been cleaned up yet, just getting opinions on the finish. 

Thanks,
Rich

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:41:36 PM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Suspension finishes - bracket too dark? rest ok?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »
Personally I could be happy with the disc brackets dark as they are (they are cast pieces) and even the strut rod. How dark (as we've discussed here before) seems to vary and likely a by product of how "fresh" or clean the quenching vat was when the part was made. I like to think range rather than an exact specific finish
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 06:19:40 AM »
Personally I could be happy with the disc brackets dark as they are (they are cast pieces) and even the strut rod. How dark (as we've discussed here before) seems to vary and likely a by product of how "fresh" or clean the quenching vat was when the part was made. I like to think range rather than an exact specific finish

Hi Jeff I am not sure if I should start a new post or reply to this one, but I am looking to find out what process is used to finish the coil spring. Is it the correct finish.

Thanks
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 12:43:20 PM »
Hi Jeff I am not sure if I should start a new post or reply to this one, but I am looking to find out what process is used to finish the coil spring. Is it the correct finish.

Thanks

Since the topic title is suspension finishes and front springs are part of the suspension think it fits as of now.

If you read earlier threads others have used Insta-black, gun bluing and other processes to color (return the darker heat treated look)  add the identification markings then oil or coat them fro protection. Others have used paints but that has sort of been replaced often with the more natural (non- painted) processes. One person that  worked there described the finish as dark phosphate though I'm not sure if I would use that heat process on these heavy springs so we offer the other choices
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 01:03:20 PM »
This is an NOS front coil spring. The color is very dark from heat treating. Sort of a matte black color. The springs are not painted originally, other than the brushed on ID marks.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 03:27:33 PM »
This is an NOS front coil spring. The color is very dark from heat treating. Sort of a matte black color. The springs are not painted originally, other than the brushed on ID marks.

Thanks Jeff
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968