Author Topic: 1968 GT500KR Trim Questions  (Read 1594 times)

Offline dwdshelby

1968 GT500KR Trim Questions
« on: November 21, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »
Hi All, finally getting to the trim on the restoration.

A couple questions on materials:

1) Are the rocker mouldings a stamped anodized aluminium piece - it does not appear to be stainless nor chrome? If so what is the best way to restore? They are not dented or bent but do have small scratches and rather dull.
2) To confirm the front grille mouldings, the rear convertible well moulding and the wheel rim mouldings are stainless?
3) I want to re-chrome the pop up gas cap but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the tank seal plate and spring off the cap. Any hints - it looks like those components plus the attaching hardware are a cad finish.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Blessings
Dave

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1968 GT500KR Trim Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »
The rocker moldings are anodized aluminum. The only way to restore them is to strip the anodization and reanodize  them. That process is very expensive. I was going to do it my self but found NOS cheaper.
The wheel opening moldings and grill moldings are anodized as well. The convertible well molding are stainless steel and can be polished.
I have not had a pop off cap apart but it seems like they are riveted.
Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
Search feature can sometimes help. Not allot of earlier subjects but ...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=339.msg1649#msg1649

From discussions on other forums - its not an easy job and you need parts from two gas caps (one keeper one donor) from my understanding. Likely one of the few members that have been through this before will respond, some are at a show this weekend so likely in transit at the moment
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 10:02:33 AM »
Search feature can sometimes help. Not allot of earlier subjects but ...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=339.msg1649#msg1649

From discussions on other forums - its not an easy job and you need parts from two gas caps (one keeper one donor) from my understanding. Likely one of the few members that have been through this before will respond, some are at a show this weekend so likely in transit at the moment
Yes. There is a bolt behind the plunger cap (gold zinc piece) that is near impossible to remove without damaging either that or outer plunger  Working on a new technique
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline dwdshelby

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 12:10:08 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts on the matter much appreciated.

Blessings
Dave