Author Topic: 69 Dearborn Mach 1 Fenders  (Read 2353 times)

Offline G Wood

69 Dearborn Mach 1 Fenders
« on: November 22, 2014, 05:24:04 PM »
I am preparing to put my front fenders on and I have a few questions:

1) the punched, factory shift stamps appear on the inside vertical support (near rear of fender) and inside the headlight pocket area. There is nothing on the mounting flange. Is this correct (my 65 has them on the flange) for an original fender?

2) did the back side of the headlight extension have red oxide as well or were these body color and then a black out applied?
65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Dearborn Mach 1 Fenders
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 10:33:28 PM »
I am preparing to put my front fenders on and I have a few questions:

1) the punched, factory shift stamps appear on the inside vertical support (near rear of fender) and inside the headlight pocket area. There is nothing on the mounting flange. Is this correct (my 65 has them on the flange) for an original fender?

By 69 its not unusual to see stamping dates on each individual panel that makes up a completed fender. Like on a door you will normally have one on the inner liner and one on the outer skin. IMHO it was not be normal not to have one on the largest panel that makes up completed fender

2) did the back side of the headlight extension have red oxide as well or were these body color and then a black out applied?

Can't recall ever seeing red oxide applied to head light buckets on 69's- normally a combination (depending on exact location and the angle at which the exterior color was applied) exterior color over the light grey surfacer.

Over the exterior color you would have the black out details added but normally that would not extend to the back side of the head light bucket except on some sprayed (method that the black out was applied) examples where the black extended around the inside and or top edge of the inner headlight to the back side of the cup in that area

Black out that was applied with a brush would not have that detail
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline G Wood

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:37:03 AM »
Regarding the lack of date stamp on the fender flange, did Ford stamp this area for their replacement parts? I am not sure what else to look at that would help determine if this were original or a reproduction. I can post the photos of the date codes on the inner supports. The inner lip (top of wheel) seems to have a slight roll on the inner edge which could have been done by a previous owner or was this original?

65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 07:13:59 PM »
     The left fender on my 69 Metuchen car has a date stamp but is very hard to pick out.  The fender has been repainted once but with the help of a stick of white soap stone the stamp is a bit more visible,  FWIW,  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 08:36:24 PM »
It appears that by the time your April car was built the pattern of dates had changed on the drivers side fender  (two line like used into 1970 production) but passenger side remained like the earlier years.

Yes believe at least some of the service replacements (not being specific to 69 applications) were dated as well as aftermarkets having some markings on the inner lip also
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 09:33:02 PM »
While we are on this, what is the meaning/purpose of the number above the date?  And does the "D" mean all fenders were stamped in Dearborn?  This particular one is from a San Jose car, but stamped in Dearborn???  3/69 build date.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 09:53:06 PM »
While we are on this, what is the meaning/purpose of the number above the date? 

Don't know the exact meaning/purpose of the upper upper number that started in the drivers side fender during 69 production. I would guess that it might identify the stamping press for that section/panel of the fender

And does the "D" mean all fenders were stamped in Dearborn?  This particular one is from a San Jose car, but stamped in Dearborn???  3/69 build date.

Yes Dearborn stamping plant (different from the assembly plant and engine plant) was identified by the "D" and later by a much smaller "D" in a circle
Jeff Speegle