Author Topic: Hipo air cleaner lid?  (Read 2646 times)

priceless

Hipo air cleaner lid?
« on: February 06, 2016, 11:19:53 AM »
I have posted 2 photos of air cleaner lids claiming to be hipo air cleaner lids. Is one or both air cleaner lids? Or is neither one air cleaner lids?  I've heard of the double hump, but, not real sure exactly how to look for the hump on a true hipo air cleaner lid.
Thanks

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Hipo air cleaner lid?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 12:01:06 PM »
both appear to be hi-po lids. the top one is an early lid commonly referred to as the double hump. the bottom one is the later style.
5F09C331248

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 12:14:03 PM »
both appear to be hi-po lids. the top one is an early lid commonly referred to as the double hump. the bottom one is the later style.
+1 The double hump wasn't used on any 1966 HiPo's that I know of.

priceless

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 02:46:48 PM »
So, double hump was basically used on early 64.5- mid 65? And later (no hump) 66-67?
Thanks for any help
Rich

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 03:27:20 PM »
So, double hump was basically used on early 64.5- mid 65? And later (no hump) 66-67?

Double hump was basically used on early 64.5- into 65 production. no hump used 65-67

Also available in kits or the air cleaner as a unit by itself for over the counter sales or dealer installed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 07:50:48 PM »
I have posted 2 photos of air cleaner lids claiming to be hipo air cleaner lids. Is one or both air cleaner lids? Or is neither one air cleaner lids?  I've heard of the double hump, but, not real sure exactly how to look for the hump on a true hipo air cleaner lid.
Thanks
Double hump hipo top photo has pitting in valleys that is VERY difficult to get out when re chroming  which makes it not very desirable to knowledgeable buyers . FYI a excellent repro that is exact in appearance is now available which has a effect on the value of originals. Only the best genuine are sale-able typically now to informed buyers. Lower picture is of a obvious poor quality repro 65 on hipo air cleaner (painted version used on later ram air cars) .  The transition edges are different on the poor repros . There is a excellent exact 65- on hipo repro nominally priced that is visually exact. It has effected the value and desirability of genuine ones in a negative way. Again only the best genuine examples are sale-able. Basically the genuine lids are noticeably heavier when compared to the repro . Of course the weight has to be felt because it cant be seen which is why it is so difficult to tell. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 08:49:54 PM »
Jumping on this old thread.  Does anyone know if an original flat top hipo air cleaner lid has the hard almost 90 degree edge like the first pic?   This is an air cleaner I picked up I think is original.  The second pic is the contour on a Scott Drake repo.  That edge has a slight slope on the repo. 
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 02:55:13 PM »
Jumping on this old thread.  Does anyone know if an original flat top hipo air cleaner lid has the hard almost 90 degree edge like the first pic?   This is an air cleaner I picked up I think is original.  The second pic is the contour on a Scott Drake repo.  That edge has a slight slope on the repo.

Yes originals had crisper form or bends. Another way to compare is to weight them if I recall correctly and some new repo has not been developed that I'm not aware of
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)