Author Topic: What is the best way to protect or prevent the chrome from being rubbed off  (Read 2025 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

Hello all

What is the best way to protect or prevent the chrome from being rubbed off from plastic interior parts? - Thanks!

Like on the chrome around this A/C Vent

or this Dash Bezel?

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Applying a clear coat over it would be the only way I know of to protect it - as well as limiting the amount of contact

Of course apply a clear coat brings with it other things
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 79mustangcobra

I was reading this.  What do you think?? - Thanks

"Welcome to Wax Forum!

Keep in that it's not really chrome plate, so you are correct in questioning how to care for it.

The polishes in FX SynWax are so mild, it works very nice to protect plastic chrome without any issues. Keep in mind that you can't really polish the finish, but you can clean and protect it, and FX SynWax does an excellent job with this.

Another alternative would be California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax (this wax has no polishes that may scratch), or one of our Spray Wax products."
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
I was reading this.  What do you think?? - Thanks

Might work just fine - the only thing that comes to mind is the plastic absorbing the product and making it impossible to repaint in the future due to the waxes, petroleum products or silicon comes to mind. Often listed in the chemical make up of todays waxes

Just a thought
Jeff Speegle

Offline 79mustangcobra

I have some other pieces similar to this that the chrome has been rubbed off.  I have used a silver paint pen to paint around it.  I called Paul's Chrome and they said they could plate the piece but the entire unit would be placed in chrome.  How did Ford chrome the edges?

Thanks!
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
.......... How did Ford chrome the edges?

Depends on the piece - the AC grills were often just painted not "chrome"  on other pieces the piece was covered then the black or other color applied over the areas that they didn't want to look chromed.

Part and application  specific
Jeff Speegle