Author Topic: OEM Finishes  (Read 2030 times)

Offline 68NordicCat

OEM Finishes
« on: March 05, 2015, 09:12:58 AM »
I am restoring a late 67 manufactured (San Jose) 1968 4 speed J code Cougar. Pretty much a top to bottom job much of which I am doing myself and I'm new at this so trying to find the best source for OEM finishes of parts - zinc phosphate/natural metal, red dyed, black painted, etc. Mustang Restoration Handbook (Don Taylor/Tom Wilson) has an engine color detailing chart in the back, but it is only a partial list. The car is very solid with virtually no major rust, just dirt, grease and surface rust, but I can't always tell what the original finish was. I've just joined this forum and have been reading the many very useful posts, and it seems like a lot of parts finishes are discussed but only individually or in small groups. Is there a source out there that would provide a guideline for the whole job? Rebuilding the front end now so suspension and steering linkage are of primary interest.

Also does anyone have an opinion on using a heated, diluted phosphoric acid bath and oil vs a zinc or manganese solution using products like those sold by Palmetto Enterprises vs gun bluing?
12/67 SJ Built 68 J code 4-spd Cougar

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: OEM Finishes
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »
.................... Is there a source out there that would provide a guideline for the whole job?..........

You will find that there is a number of threads related to your question - the general opinion is no there is not printed guide.  You'll find that what is in print is often incorrect (new things discovered and shared since the printing)  or incomplete since they try to lump all years together or plants

Also does anyone have an opinion on using a heated, diluted phosphoric acid bath and oil vs a zinc or manganese solution using products like those sold by Palmetto Enterprises vs gun bluing?

Yes believe everyone does. Its often based on what is affordable, available, the part being refinished and fits their need. Often restorers will use more than one of the processes you listed above since they are looking for different final looks.  Originally these parts were not mono tone but instead allot of different tones and looks since (for example)  the oil bath on one day would be dirtier than on another

My advice is to read the threads - look at the articles in the Library.

I've used P& O at home , done at shops and gun bluing for 20 plus years with few complaints (from myself) Think you'll find that each choice has its short comings but if it was easy then everyone would be doing what we're doing :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68NordicCat

Re: OEM Finishes
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 01:02:23 AM »
I appreciate the reply. Will continue looking for threads and also checking for info in the library.
12/67 SJ Built 68 J code 4-spd Cougar