Author Topic: 1985 Capri Pace Car  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Megmaker

1985 Capri Pace Car
« on: March 08, 2015, 02:47:31 PM »
I know it is a Mercury but a "sister" to the Mustang. A good friend wants me to look the car over. 1985 Capri, ASC McClaren pace car from the Detroit Gran Prix. It is the bubbleback model with a 5-speed. Pace car paint & graphics. 40,000 miles. Is anyone here own one or knowledgeable for a website? I plan on looking at it next week for him. A whole bunch of documentation including a picture of this car with Willie Ribs. It sure seems to be legit but I need some more insight on what & where to look for problem areas. Regards, Megmaker 8)

Offline bluemax

Re: 1985 Capri Pace Car
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 06:00:22 PM »
Might want to look over on the foureyedpride site under Special Interest... I wonder if this is the car in question...

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?153670-1985-Detroit-Grand-Prix-Capri-Pace-Car-Has-Arrived!

Also check this site out...

http://grandprix.mercurycapri.com/

Offline KevinK

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 06:51:26 PM »
The best source of ASC McLaren info was Sandy Block.  Unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago. He tried to pass on much of his knowledge at this site

http://www.ascmclaren.org

Since there were so few hatchback cars done, and few discussed information was limited.  There are a few followers on the site who will probably be helpful.

Two things to do first:
1. Check the buck tag for ASC McLaren (2 buck tags)
2. Check the VIN number.  ASC special ordered cars start with MHBP. Regular production cars were different VIN prefix but some were also converted by ASC.
3. Next would be to get the Emminger report as that would show it going to ASC for conversion.
4. Most ASC cars also contained a Ford Parts List that was thrown in the car at the factory for such things like the SVO steering wheel, etc.  This is not always an easy piece of paper to come across but I believe they were delivered with the car at the time of dealer delivery.

I hope this helps.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Megmaker

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 06:54:50 PM »
Thanks for the information. The owner also has the champaign glasses and I discovered who Willie T. Ribbs is, he raced at the GP circuit. Regards, Megmaker in SW Michigan.

Offline 1985 Motorsport Capri

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
I run the 1985 Motorsport Capri registry.
I own 2 of these cars including the prototype.
these will not have the D32 code on the buck tag. they were produced by ASC McLaren, but were more a Mercury project, with ASC just adding body componants as requested by Mercury.

a few cars were built specificly for track use at the Mercury Motorcity 100 trans am race held the day before the grand prix & for the grand prix itself.  the rest were replicas used at the race for execs to drive around town, display cars & parade cars.
the champagne glasses you speak of are actually mini bottles that were given to dealers that participated in this cars drive away program.
they also made coffee mugs, t-shirts & some posters.
drop me an email or PM & I can help out with anything you need.
Jason

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 02:57:12 PM »
Good info!
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Megmaker

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:10:37 PM »
Jason, When time permits, contact me. I "lost" your number(s). Regards, Megmaker in SW Michigan.