Author Topic: Strap wrench for "shortie" power steering hoses???  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Angela

Strap wrench for "shortie" power steering hoses???
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
When trying to tighten the hoses between the control valve and slave cylinder, I find that the hose wants to twist as I tighten the fitting. I wonder if that's why the hoses sometime have a yellow or white stripe painted on them, to warn you you're twisting the hose. How does one keep this from happening? I thought a strap wrench would work, by wrapping a strap wrench around the metal section which is crimped onto the rubber hose. However, I haven't found a strap wrench that is made to work with something this small in dia (~3/4" O.D.). Has anyone found such a wrench or perhaps can suggest another solution?

Offline roddster

Re: Strap wrench for "shortie" power steering hoses???
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 07:28:11 PM »
  The stripe identfied exactly what you think it does.  Indicates if the hose is twisted.
  Suggestion: Small channel locks with the jaws wrapped with electrical tape.  And, be careful.

Sorry, I thought of this the next day:  Also, put a little smear of grease or anti-seize under the head of the nut (not where it touches the oriface it goes into)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:23:08 AM by roddster »