Author Topic: Finish on Suspension Nuts  (Read 3982 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Finish on Suspension Nuts
« on: August 06, 2009, 09:51:17 AM »
Trying to figure out the finish on some suspension nuts.

The nuts that secure the ball joints to the spindles.

The strut rod nuts that look like a crown (last nut that goes on after the red dyed nut).

8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
Re: Finish on Suspension Nuts
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 10:56:52 PM »
The crown nuts on the strut rods are Zinc and the crown nuts for the ball joints I have always found Zinc Dichromate.
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 12:52:59 AM »
I have found examples that lead me to believe that the ball joint  nuts are silver on 65-68 and not 100% sure but maybe late 68 my have been when they changed over to gold Zinc Dichromate like all 69/70's . Strangely the engineering drawings  indicate S100 but I have never seen the safety red. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 11:53:17 AM »
I've only observed zinc dichromate on the large ball joint nuts, a very light plating that fades easily.  Of course, I'm sure there are exceptions to this.  I would most likely accept either finish on a concours car.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 07:57:52 PM »
Jeff moved this topic to 68 so I'll move my question to 67 upper and lower arm rebuilding
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 11:36:40 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 08:39:24 PM »
Revisiting and relocating this thread to the section it was originally posted for (68) thought I would add

Of course determining what was originally dichromated is difficult after all these years as the dye did not hold up well over the years.

Would also be interested in seeing red dyed from strut rod nuts on an unrestored car.  Haven't been able to find any to this point. Any plant

A collection of castle nuts from 68 San Jose examples on cars that were stored well for discussion and comparison

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline preaction

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 03:07:24 PM »
The last of Jeff's pics with the ball joint/spindle castle nut on my monitor looks to be a light zinc dichromate.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 05:04:56 PM »
Isn't this in the time period where Ford had nuts "dyed" red to signify special torque requirements?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 05:12:46 PM »
Isn't this in the time period where Ford had nuts "dyed" red to signify special torque requirements?
Jim

They had been doing that in a limited way for a number of years but 68 the program was expanded. Posted the brochure that was sent to the workers in another thread. Don't recall if it was a Job #1 thing or something planned for later in the production year and which bolts, nuts and screws depended on the year of production going forward while the other question was this something that was practiced 100% in the real world like Ford planned on paper.  The car/example I posted has some dyed and others (exact same part) not dyed and it is one of the better preserved cars left so not allot of reasons IMHO that one side would have it and the other not given the treatment and storage of the car.

In many years the application of the red dye was all over the car not just suspension items

The red dye discussion might be better discussed further in the other thread
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 07:51:13 PM »
In many years the application of the red dye was all over the car not just suspension items
The red dye discussion might be better discussed further in the other thread
I believe Bob Gaines was involved with the red dye on nuts posts, so it may be already posted.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2022, 08:18:35 PM »
Drug out the brochure published Aug 9 1967 that describes the expanded application and related program. According to the text this was tied to Public Law 89-563 passed Sept 9 1966. The brochure is a Twin Cities version of the Ford News  but surely it reflects what was going on across all of the auto plants
Jeff Speegle