Author Topic: Choke cable routing  (Read 504 times)

Offline AJ

Choke cable routing
« on: December 04, 2023, 12:52:25 PM »
Looking for advice on where to route choke cable through firewall on 70 GT500.  In the picture is my current firewall situation.  I?m pretty certain it?s original to the car.  I labeled the most likely locations as A, B, C, and D, or other.  Anyone know with certainty where KK ran the cable through ?   Thanks
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Choke cable routing
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 06:43:19 PM »
Looking for advice on where to route choke cable through firewall on 70 GT500.  In the picture is my current firewall situation.  I?m pretty certain it?s original to the car.  I labeled the most likely locations as A, B, C, and D, or other.  Anyone know with certainty where KK ran the cable through ?   Thanks
I typically see them in the area of "C" . The added hole location can very slightly.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 08:21:54 PM »
You might try the 1970 Mustang Electrical Manual (AM0033) pg13, as it shows the answer tom your question.
If you do not have a set of Mustang Assembly Manual, I strongly suggest you invest in a set.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 09:32:19 PM »
You might try the 1970 Mustang Electrical Manual (AM0033) pg13, as it shows the answer tom your question.
If you do not have a set of Mustang Assembly Manual, I strongly suggest you invest in a set.
Jim

Since its a 70 Shelby think he would be better served with the 69 versions if he was going to purchase those manuals. Consider that the cable was a retrofit and not a factory thing for most of these cars.

Believe, based on the pictures I have, the hole is in a different location on a 70 Boss and a 70 Shelby. The Boss is much further to the drivers side
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 09:49:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 09:42:15 PM »
Couple of unrestored examples 

Jeff Speegle

Offline AJ

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 10:50:38 PM »
Jeff,  i can confirm that 70 Boss choke cable passed through firewall directly above the throttle cable.  Attached is a picture of from my 70 Boss.   Jim?s comment got me thinking about my 1969 Electrical Assembly manual.  It shows a drawing of the 69 Boss 302 choke cable in the same location as a 70 Boss.  So those 2 years seems to be consistent with each other.   But as expected,  on a 69/70 GT500 there is no such factory hole located directly above the throttle cable.  So Kar Kraft apparently drilled a hole to retrofit the choke cable.  I?m sort of surprised KK didn?t drill the hole in same location as the ?69 Boss.   
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 10:54:11 PM »
...............  I?m sort of surprised KK didn?t drill the hole in same location as the ?69 Boss.

When converting the cars it was much easier to put the new hole towards the center IMHO that over where it was done of the Boss's 69 or 70. Just more clear space to work with. No certain all were done with a drill so they might have needed room to get a hammer in there  ::) like Ford did on some early Mustangs
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 10:54:57 PM »
Jeff,  i can confirm that 70 Boss choke cable passed through firewall directly above the throttle cable.  Attached is a picture of from my 70 Boss.   Jim?s comment got me thinking about my 1969 Electrical Assembly manual.  It shows a drawing of the 69 Boss 302 choke cable in the same location as a 70 Boss.  So those 2 years seems to be consistent with each other.   But as expected,  on a 69/70 GT500 there is no such factory hole located directly above the throttle cable.  So Kar Kraft apparently drilled a hole to retrofit the choke cable.  I?m sort of surprised KK didn?t drill the hole in same location as the ?69 Boss.
KK didn't drill a hole. The hole was typically punched.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline AJ

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 11:11:08 PM »
Bob,  you beat me to it.   I was just thinking how big a pain it would have been to drill a hole with the engine in place.  And the risk of accidentally drilling into something on interior side.   I was about to propose theory that KK might have removed a firewall retainer and routed the choke cable through the vacated hole. At any rate, drilling isnt wasnt the way.  I just wish there was more info on this oddity.   Based on this discussion thread,  i think i?ll run mine through the hole i?ve labeled C on the photo.   
Adrian Jacobs

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 12:18:41 AM »
Since its a 70 Shelby think he would be better served with the 69 versions if he was going to purchase those manuals. Consider that the cable was a retrofit and not a factory thing for most of these cars.

Believe, based on the pictures I have, the hole is in a different location on a 70 Boss and a 70 Shelby. The Boss is much further to the drivers side
Yup, in a way. Conventional wisdom has maintained that the majority of 1970 Shelbys are actually re-identified 1969 versions. The 70 Boss Mustangs probably used a lot of the Shelby details.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 12:41:18 AM »
Yup, in a way. Conventional wisdom has maintained that the majority of 1970 Shelbys are actually re-identified 1969 versions. The 70 Boss Mustangs probably used a lot of the Shelby details.
Jim
All and not the majority of 70 Shelby's were re VINed 1969 versions. The Boss cars were stand alone Icons. I can think of a few things that the Shelby shared with the 69 Boss but that was because they were developed at the same time. I can't think of one thing  on the 69 Shelby that influenced mechanical or cosmetic design on the 70 Boss cars.