Author Topic: Front suspension  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Seadog

Front suspension
« on: May 28, 2015, 11:46:08 AM »
I'm not super knowledgeable about the 65 Mustang, but learning as I go.  I bought a coupe and am learning on it as I try to go from one end to the other restoring and repairing.  My goal is to have an excellent driver and keep/make it as close to original as is practical, then go for a convertible or fastback to restore in the future.

My car sits with the rear sitting higher than the front.  I have 14" standard wheels all around (all tires are 6.95-14) with stock springs and shackles in the rear.  Am I correct that the car's original stance would have it level, or with the rear slightly lower than the front?  I'm using the rocker panels as a point of reference to gauge the stance. 

Since the rear end is higher I'm wondering if a previous owner put different springs in the front or cut them shorter.  The car has not had the Shelby drop procedure, and the front suspension components are stock with possible exception of the springs.

Am I right about stance it should have?  What is the easiest/best way to determine what is causing the stance to be lower in the front?  Do I need to remove the coil springs and replace with new ones to eliminate that possibility?

Thanks for your help!

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Front suspension
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »
Springs are a funny thing to figure out, what is correct for function alone, add that you are working on a classic/antique car to the scene and things do not improve.

Then we do not know what model Coupe you have and what engine/trans combination you have, with Air Conditioning or not. Many variables involved  to help you identify what is correct for your application.

Best advise I have is to measure the ride height of the car and compare it to what the factory specs are for your exact vehicle.

You cannot rule out that the rear suspension was modified at one point or another yet. Early Stangs tend to look a little lower in the rear than in the front but that is NOT the correct way to figure out what your particular car's ride height height ought to be.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 01:25:56 PM »
And old age.
Get a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals for your year car, plus the 64-65 Chassis and 64-65 Weld & Sealant Manuals. The information you need is in the Chassis Manual. The measurements Ford used are made from different points on the car than you used.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 03:49:54 PM »
For a starting point - Did you read the FAQs for the 65-66 in that section?

Might be a good place to start ;)
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.0

BTW welcome to the site - hope you find it useful in your concours related efforts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 05:56:51 PM »
After you figure out the ride height and before you start moving parts around check your shocks.  When I put the KYB's on my car I did notice a slight lift along with the firmness in the rear.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Seadog

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 07:24:07 PM »
Thanks for your help.  I will check the measurements!

BTW, my car has a 260 v8 with automatic trans, no AC.