Author Topic: NOS C60E-G Fan & Clutch, Concours correct for 66-68?  (Read 5864 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
NOS C60E-G Fan & Clutch, Concours correct for 66-68?
« on: June 24, 2015, 10:35:49 AM »
Since this is said to fit a 66-68, which is why I posted in "Drivetrain", please move if needed (wasn't sure, feel free to edit the heading too if need be)

Said to be and looks to be a NOS, correct fan and clutch for a 66-68 small block with A/C including Shelby. 
My understanding is there ought to be numbers on the side of the clutch flange and the flange itself should NOT be painted black, as it is.

Checking for acceptability (correctness) for use on my 67 289 std. duty cooling, with Select-Aire.

Basicly asking if it is good enough if cleaned up and installed "as-is". If not, what suggestions would be offered.

Richard
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:12:25 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
Re: NOS C60E-G Fan & Clutch, Concours correct for 66-68?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 11:31:14 AM »
You might find your answer here:

http://www.mustangtek.com/fanclutch.html
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 12:08:46 PM »
You might find your answer here:

http://www.mustangtek.com/fanclutch.html

Yes, the site confirms the "application" should be correct and that is why I bought it. I suppose better to ask if anyone could tell it as "incorrect" from a Concours restoration standpoint, say wrong date code, say because it is a "service replacement" point of view or because there is no engineering number on the clutch flange, that sort of answer is what I am seeking. I am planning to use it just cleaned up and bolted on, but if a little bit more work out to be done first, then now is the time to ask.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »
Hi there Richard,

I would say that if you cleaned that up and installed it, you'd be darn near Concours correct. The only kicker I see in the way of this would be that I also would expect to see a Engineering Part number stamped into the side of the flange. All the factory ones I've seen over the years had this in them (faint in a couple of instances), whether it was a Mustang, T-Bird, etc. I am not "certain" of this however. It took me several years of searching and research to finally find both the correct blade and fan clutch setup, as they were both missing when I bought our car. The MustangTek site was a VERY GOOD resource in this effort. The blade number is spot on, as is that style of clutch it looks like from that site. Deciphering the code on the face of the clutch, I'd need some help with. Might want to also double check the length of that clutch stem too. Knowing how thorough you are, most likely you've already done this...! The finish is fine on the clutch stem too (natural). Nothing that a little Boeshield won't help to maintain.
Take care!
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »
Hi there Richard,

I would say that if you cleaned that up and installed it, you'd be darn near Concours correct. The only kicker I see in the way of this would be that I also would expect to see a Engineering Part number stamped into the side of the flange. All the factory ones I've seen over the years had this in them (faint in a couple of instances), whether it was a Mustang, T-Bird, etc. I am not "certain" of this however. It took me several years of searching and research to finally find both the correct blade and fan clutch setup, as they were both missing when I bought our car. The MustangTek site was a VERY GOOD resource in this effort. The blade number is spot on, as is that style of clutch it looks like from that site. Deciphering the code on the face of the clutch, I'd need some help with. Might want to also double check the length of that clutch stem too. Knowing how thorough you are, most likely you've already done this...! The finish is fine on the clutch stem too (natural). Nothing that a little Boeshield won't help to maintain.
Take care!

well the finish is actually NOT natural, but I believe a little softening agent (such as thinner on a rag) I could remove the black paint that is on the stem. It looks like it was dipped in black, that kinda flat black/grey color like most "dipped black" items on these cars look.
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 01:29:39 PM »
WAIT! I just looked again at the fan clutch. It has a C7ZE-B faintly seen beneath the black dipping sauce that whas globbed on.
Mustangtek has the clutch as:

C7ZE-B
Unconfirmed Application. Information may or may not be complete or accurate: 66-67 390 Fairlane-GT XC- wo/AC
Unconfirmed Application. Information may or may not be complete or accurate: 66-67 427 Fairlane

Confirmed Application. Information has been double checked with at least a second source: 67 289-390 Mustang exc/HangOnAC

2.91" depth
C7OZ-8A616-C

First, I see that Mustangtek site states it as "confirmed" for use on 67 Mustangs "exc/HangOnAC" for correct applications of this clutch, and for BOTH 289 and 390. (I learned something new there, didn't know 390 would be the same for this part)
...but it DOES NOT mention for use on original equipment AC cars so, would you default to say that since non-AC cars came without a clutch fan, this would be then obviously for WITH a car originally equipped with Selec-Aire?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Richard

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:37:04 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 01:36:36 PM »
Think after finding that number, I'd have a favorite "Adult Beverage" at the next opportunity...
Good job!! 8)
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »
WAIT! I just looked again at the fan clutch. It has a C7ZE-B faintly seen beneat the black dipping sauce that whas globbed on.
Mustangtek has the clutch as:

C7ZE-B
Unconfirmed Application. Information may or may not be complete or accurate: 66-67 390 Fairlane-GT XC- wo/AC
Unconfirmed Application. Information may or may not be complete or accurate: 66-67 427 Fairlane

Confirmed Application. Information has been double checked with at least a second source: 67 289-390 Mustang exc/HangOnAC

2.91" depth
C7OZ-8A616-C
The C6-G fan and C7ZE-B fan clutch is typical on a 67-68 with air 289 regular Mustang. Clutch can be used as a replacement on a BB Mustang in a pinch. Big block Mustang has a shorter distance between the flange and the finned clutch body. Just FYI the front cover of the fan clutch indicates that the clutch was manufactured in late 68 . The pattern on the 67 and early 68 front cover have a different pressed pattern . It is hard to perceive once installed . Only a assemblyline nuance detail that doesn't effect performance .   
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 04:45:53 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 01:52:18 PM »
The C6-B fan and C7ZE-B fan clutch is typical on a 67-68 with air 289 regular Mustang. Clutch can be used as a replacement on a BB Mustang in a pinch. Big block Mustang has a shorter distance between the flange and the finned clutch body. Just FYI the front cover of the fan clutch indicates that the clutch was manufactured in late 68 . The pattern on the 67 and early 68 front cover have a different pressed pattern . It is hard to perceive once installed . Only a assemblyline nuance detail that doesn't effect performance .

Thanks for the supplemental information, I had believed the BB to be different, so not sure how M-tek can have it as "confirmed".

...but more notable "thanks Bob" for the mention on the difference in the front plate. Now, I have another clutch at home, and will have to check it out too!

If my other fan clutch is the early style, should I add it to the thread as reference? Anybody interested in seeing the difference besides me?

One last thought, should I strip the black paint from the hub flange? Use lacquer thinner & rags?

Richard
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:56:05 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
I think I may have to retract my earlier statement of "Natural" for the finish on that stem/hub. It may have been Phosphate & Oil, now that I think about it. The restoration I had done on ours (http://www.pamperedcorvettes.com/Pampered_Corvettes/Welcome.html), believe that's what he did. I'll check it out tonight when I get home from work...yes, I'm at work but this is much funner (and educational)! ;)
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »
I think I may have to retract my earlier statement of "Natural" for the finish on that stem/hub. It may have been Phosphate & Oil, now that I think about it. The restoration I had done on ours (http://www.pamperedcorvettes.com/Pampered_Corvettes/Welcome.html), believe that's what he did. I'll check it out tonight when I get home from work...yes, I'm at work but this is much funner (and educational)! ;)
Most NOS ones I have had were bare steel or if phosphated were very light.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 04:43:56 PM »
Thanks for the supplemental information, I had believed the BB to be different, so not sure how M-tek can have it as "confirmed".

...but more notable "thanks Bob" for the mention on the difference in the front plate. Now, I have another clutch at home, and will have to check it out too!

If my other fan clutch is the early style, should I add it to the thread as reference? Anybody interested in seeing the difference besides me?

One last thought, should I strip the black paint from the hub flange? Use lacquer thinner & rags?

Richard
Use lacquer thinner or paint stripper trying to stay away from seal. Here is what a typical front cover on a  fan clutch looks like 67-68. The pressed design is different then the mfg ones that started in later 68 on production.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 05:41:39 PM »
Bob, Thanks for the picture, I couldn't tell it apart at first, but I got it now  ;)
Richard Urch

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 10:32:56 PM »
Bob, Richard,
Yep, you were right Bob. Looks to be bare steel on the hub/stem, as it was restored to. Just couldn't remember which...gonna chaulk it up to job stress maybe... :-[
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 08:53:50 PM »
I'm bring this back up to add evidence from the August 1968 MPC.  According to the MPC, for the 1967 289 cluch;

1. Before 2/15/1967 the service part was C7OZ-8A616-B, marked C7ZE-A, which was replaced by C7OZ-8A616-C (marked as C7ZE-B) in what appears to be December of 1967.

2. After 2/15/1967 the service part was C7OZ-8A616-C, marked as C7ZE-B.

The 1975 MPC lists only the C7OZ-8A616-C (C7ZE-B) which confirms the replacement.

It appears that both the C7ZE-A and -B were available until December of 1967, and then the -A was phased out.

In both cases the depth is identified as 2.91"

In Richard's case (or mine for that matter) I would be perfectly happy with a -B.   I would look for a -A on a pre-2/15/67 Thoroughbred though.

I would be interested though in knowing the differences.  But they might not be visual.  I stripped a very early 67 several years ago now, so will go looking for what I kept.  I might have a -A version.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:56:06 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660