Author Topic: 1967 disc brake hose brackets.  (Read 9726 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 1967 disc brake hose brackets.
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 04:30:25 PM »
Going to disagree

ANSWER:  Either way. Now if your showing the car you may choose to go with the expected until something is adopted or modified

Of course we don't all have to agree all the time - that is how things progress

That is the good part...True, we can agree to disagree though I could EASILY be convinced otherwise as to whether or not these brackets were installed bare steel and/or painted. Personally, I do not care. I have proven to myself anyways what my example had on it from the factory. I will photograph & document what I found.
I was also trying to be careful in my wording that my opinion is based on my OWN example and suplemented with your (Jeff's) pictures. The FIRST picture you posted in what is taken as being "bare steel" is basically what my example looked like...till I looked behind them. My thoughts on ANY unrestored examples, assuming this is what Jeff pictured, that it COULD be difficult to see what is lurking on the backside of the bracket. It WOULD be nice to see what is on the backside of that first image showing surface rust.  Obviously, it is a picture but if somebody knows the car it was taken of, it would not be difficult to look behind it (though likely nobody ever would~I wouldn't touch my unrestored either)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 05:31:50 PM »
Agree 67gtasanjose. You've proven and documented what was on your car and hard to argue with that

My thoughts on ANY unrestored examples, assuming this is what Jeff pictured, that it COULD be difficult to see what is lurking on the backside of the bracket. It WOULD be nice to see what is on the backside of that first image showing surface rust.  Obviously, it is a picture but if somebody knows the car it was taken of, it would not be difficult to look behind it (though likely nobody ever would~I wouldn't touch my unrestored either)

As far as the pictures - just comparing how the painted and bare surfaces developed on all parts in the area - bringing me to my conclusion. Will continue to keep an eye open for additional examples in non- show settings so I can loosen a few and confirm that the protected surface matches the exposed surface

Will have to look around - think there might be two to four  67-8  Mustangs at one of the local shops. Parts taken off are likely labled and in boxes. Unless someone has blasted them :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 06:12:50 PM »
Agree 67gtasanjose. You've proven and documented what was on your car and hard to argue with that

As far as the pictures - just comparing how the painted and bare surfaces developed on all parts in the area - bringing me to my conclusion. Will continue to keep an eye open for additional examples in non- show settings so I can loosen a few and confirm that the protected surface matches the exposed surface

Will have to look around - think there might be two to four  67-8  Mustangs at one of the local shops. Parts taken off are likely labled and in boxes. Unless someone has blasted them :(
Completely understandable, that is exactly how I had viewed MINE beore examining them closer. My control arms look like those ones do, my frame and inner fenders look like those in that first picture. My take on it is the paint that they are dipped into is a low-grade paint and differs from the quality that would be used elsewhere in the assembly, thus making my brackets LOOK like they were bare at first, only to find out otherwise. Notice my comment much earlier in the thread:

.... This area would be "unrestored" previous to my disassembly, worst case scenario would be I shot paint over outside surface during a 1997 refresh but the faces against the frame will be what I focus on mostly, those had never been taken loose before last year's disassemble. Memory tells me they were bare steel, memory also tells me I only previously repainted under the hood since this car was kept in California desert it's whole life, this area and underside of my car were untouched before this resoration.

I'll update when I find them.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline sgl66

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 12:22:48 AM »
I removed brackets today from my 66 Metuchen car. I have no reason to believe the backs have seen the light of day in 50 years and surprised to see shiney bare metal but also lots of remnants of low quality black paint.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 12:31:20 AM »
I removed brackets today from my 66 Metuchen car. I have no reason to believe the backs have seen the light of day in 50 years and surprised to see shiney bare metal but also lots of remnants of low quality black paint.

Unfortunately - different plant and year that being discussed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sgl66

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 12:47:44 AM »

Unfortunately - different plant and year that being discussed
Yup...saw reference to 64-66 being the same bracket and it may be a supplier thing. Anyhow, figured while I had them off today I would grab a pic to support the low quality paint theory.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 09:13:46 PM »

That's not low quality paint, it looks more like it suffered a break fluid leak. That will peel paint quickly.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 04:25:33 PM »
it looks more like it suffered a break fluid leak. That will peel paint quickly.
Correct, I was replacing brake hose. I use silicone fluid which doesn't remove paint  ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2015, 11:58:29 AM »
Here's the issue at hand. Unlike many components made for/ by Ford, there is no zinc, cadmium or primer in use to protect the bare stamping, and quite possibly had some surface corrosion on them before being painted. This would also explain why vehicles, even in dry climates have pitting and heavy corrosion. Just a passing thought......

-Keith