Author Topic: Body Date Codes Log  (Read 4059 times)

Offline KenFirch

Body Date Codes Log
« on: September 05, 2015, 09:59:13 PM »
What have others found that works best for logging body date codes?   Write them on a body diagram?   Photos?  Excel list?  Or should I even bother?
Starting a new project, 66 convert, late Dec 65 SJ build.

Thanks, Ken

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Re: Body Date Codes Log
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 11:02:44 PM »
Whether you should bother or not, from my point of view, is a personal choice. Is there any need to? Maybe there is, maybe there isn't, I don't know, but I'm doing it just the same. I'm restoring a '65 Dearborn Coupe. So far, I have taken photos of some of the date codes, once I have all the codes I plan to put it on an Excel Spread Sheet.

In my case I'm doing this because of the cars January 23rd estimated build date. I'm curious about the range of dates of the panels, especially the newest dates, which will give me a better idea, (maybe), of when the car may have actually been built. I'm also fortunate that all of the panels are original to the car. If all of the dates are older than the Build Date, then there's a good chance the car was built close to the 23A code on the Warranty Tag.

Good luck with the new project and enjoy!

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »
I use a "simple" spread sheet but then again I've collected them from allot of cars and used the tool to compare cars with similar/close dates to one another for research projects.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KenFirch

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 11:26:42 PM »
Thanks, I decided to purchase the 204 page PDF version of the Ford "Parts & Body Illustrations," print out a few of the pages and write them there, as well as photos.  Manual will come in handy too.  Maybe when I'm done I'll post a scan of the date codes.  It is kind of interesting to see the lead time for the various panels.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:12:43 AM by KenFirch »

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 01:42:30 AM »
Thanks, I decided to purchase the 204 page PDF version of the Ford "Parts & Body Illustrations," print out a few of the pages and write them there, as well as photos.  Manual will come in handy too.  Maybe when I'm done I'll post a scan of the date codes.  It is kind of interesting to see the lead time for the various panels.

I think it would be nice to have a blanked out body-only illustration that anyone could download and use.  They could write in thier sheetmetal dates and then post it in a thread to collect the info in one place.  Could even mark where the date codes were found, to make it easier for others to do the same.  I would need a '69/'70 cougar body outline though >.>

Maybe?
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 09:17:24 AM »
I think it would be nice to have a blanked out body-only illustration that anyone could download and use.  They could write in thier sheetmetal dates and then post it in a thread to collect the info in one place.  Could even mark where the date codes were found, to make it easier for others to do the same.  I would need a '69/'70 cougar body outline though >.>

Maybe?

"If you build it, he will come" Ray (Kevin Costner) ~"Field of Dreams"

...but Mike, at least YOUR idea doesn't sound like lunacy (or the makings of a sequel either) ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 10:10:04 PM »
I use a "simple" spread sheet but then again I've collected them from allot of cars and used the tool to compare cars with similar/close dates to one another for research projects.

Any Chance of posting up a blank one Jeff?
I'd like to see what you include in yours so I don't miss anything in mine.
Thanks,
Dan.
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 04:53:59 PM »
I'd like to see what you include in yours so I don't miss anything in mine.

Been thinking about this one - why a response took so long.

There is no way to post a sample since the fields are so wide (approx 182 plus fields horizontally) it would not be legible

In basic terms it covers

Shortened VIN  (Year, plant and sequential number) to aid in sorting
Full VIN
Projected build date
Real build date
Note section - may be owners name, contact or how the numbers are documented or stored
Shelby VIN (if it applies)
Shelby completion date (if it applies)
DSO
Calif Lic Plate number(if it applies)

Then we start the drivetrain (engine, trans and rearend fields) along with radiator, air cleaner and related items. Steering column related, PS pumps, Muffler dates

Then the sheet metal sections
Engine compartment - Every panel has a field that could have (changes by year) a date. Also coded to show other patterns such as deep stamping
Body on panels - Hood, trunk lid, fenders and the like
Interior sheet metal panels
Exterior (mid car) panels
Rear panels
Trunk visible dated panels

Bumper section

Glass section

Additional notes: Things that may become individual fields later. Might be dates from a heater, wiper motor, wheels. Basically anything that might help in the future

Hope this gives you a general idea of what I've assembled. Consider that its important to collect as much info as possible. You can always disregard it in the future but with computers is no longer a space thing (no room on your book shelf or your binders are all getting too full as in the past) but you can't always go back once the opportunity passes.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Josep

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 06:21:22 PM »
Jeff, that's plenty of useful information, thank you.!
My question was much more simple, but all info is welcome.
In the pink slip I have there's not such a lot of information as you mention, but that's fine.!
Just wondering the significance of some abbreviations.

Thanks a lot.!
1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - C4 - Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36

Offline Josep

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 06:24:14 PM »
Think I confused my answer, sorry.
1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - C4 - Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 06:43:58 PM »
Jeff, that's plenty of useful information, thank you.!
My question was much more simple, but all info is welcome.

Was responding to the following requests

What have others found that works best for logging body date codes?   Write them on a body diagram?   Photos?  Excel list?  Or should I even bother?
Starting a new project, 66 convert, late Dec 65 SJ build.

Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 09:56:36 PM »
Out of curiosity, I started doing something similar to what Jeff is doing. As I came across dates over the past 18 months, I started building a spreadsheet and then organizing into groups. Welded sheetmetal, bolt on sheetmetal, drivetrain and brakes, glass, and various parts like wiper motor, guages etc as I come across them.

To date, the nearest part I've found to scheduled build date on build sheet and door tag is 4 days.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65