Author Topic: '71 Mustang Convertible original ball joints?  (Read 2039 times)

mac1971

'71 Mustang Convertible original ball joints?
« on: November 06, 2015, 08:15:35 PM »
As I have now completed the teat down of my J-Code vert, I took a closer look at the front suspension. In one picture, you will note the original tie rod end, definitely has see its better days... The entire front end on this car was void of any grease zerts save for the lower ball joints. pretty sure that would make this the original suspension. To further enhance this theory, the second picture shows the original 3 bolt upper ball joints complete with the factory installed aluminum tags indicating no greasing... pretty cool. Cheers.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '71 Mustang Convertible original ball joints?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 10:30:18 PM »
As I have now completed the teat down of my J-Code vert, I took a closer look at the front suspension. In one picture, you will note the original tie rod end, definitely has see its better days... The entire front end on this car was void of any grease zerts save for the lower ball joints.

Zert fittings at theat location can be added to original a arms in about a minute - both sides if your quick.

pretty sure that would make this the original suspension. To further enhance this theory, the second picture shows the original 3 bolt upper ball joints complete with the factory installed aluminum tags indicating no greasing... pretty cool. Cheers.

Well......................... nope :(

The metal tag suggests to me that they have been replaced The bolt in ball joint confirms it  ;)

Haven't seen a ball joint kit for a while with the aluminum tags but have seen them in the past and owned a few
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:32:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 05:47:19 PM »
opps... so how old would these ball joints be, approximately...?

Possibly from the 70's or early 80's - not sure when that company stopped (if they ever did) including that tag
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 01:32:56 AM »
I have about a dozen or so control arms with the metal tags....all of them seem to be replacements with the bolt in ball joints.  Have never seen that on original assembly line units.  But for sure in these pictures they were replaced at some point. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations