Author Topic: Dismantle remote exterior mirror  (Read 6798 times)

Offline 196667Bob

Re: Dismantle remote exterior mirror
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 04:41:56 AM »
Here is how I am attacking the Remote Mirror Restoration. A couple of years ago, I started removing parts on my '67 Convertible. I started taking inventory of everything that I needed to either Replace, Restore or use "as is". One of the first things I noticed was that the Remote Mirror was showing signs of its almost 50 years of age. The base was pitted, and the Mirror Housing was starting to show signs of it. I then removed my Passenger Side Accessory Mirror, which I had purchased NOS in the early 80's, and installed in the mid-eighties. Surprisingly, it had "weathered the storm" rather well, even with not having been garaged all of the time, the previous several years in particular. It actually looked as good as when I installed it. Knowing that I would be redoing the car one day, I did not really expect the Passenger Side Mirror to survive very well, so I had picked up another NOS one in the early 90's, figuring that I would need to replace it. Now, I had an "extra" one, that I could either sell, or put back on the shelf once again, for "down the road".

At that point, I got thinking; what if..............  Sure enough, in checking the Factory Remote Mirror with the Passenger Side Accessory Mirror, the casting numbers were the same, and the gasket that came with it even has the large hole in it for the cables to pass through.  It was now just a matter of swapping out the base and housing, and transferring the cabled Remote Mirror to the NOS housing. Yes, I'll probably have to end up removing the cables from one end, but I did this on my '66 years ago, and as long as you go slowly, it's not really that bad. In going this route, I won't have to worry about any "square edges" being rounded during the replating process, or getting a bad plating job, etc.  And all of this is not even taking into account the cost savings.

Twenty years ago, or so, I wouldn't have thought twice about having my original Remote replated. However, today, there are not near as many platers that will do die cast, much less guarantee it, and when you do find one, you have to find out what process they use (it's my understanding that there are two or three different processes),  and once you are satisfied as to how the end result will look, be ready to "pay the price". I recently had a die cast Spotlight Bracket (approximately 2-3/4" x 8") for a 1957 Ford replated, and had quotes from $120 to $185. This makes it a viable option to find a NOS Passenger Side Accessory Mirror to use to replace parts on the Factory Remote Mirror. As the same Mirror was used on Full Size Fords, Fairlanes and Falcons as well as on Mustangs, they do surface fairly often; usually for $100 or less, NOS. I'm sure this would be considerably less than having the original replated.

At least this might be something to consider. When I actually make the conversion, I may find that it was harder than it appeared; but right now, this is the way I am proceeding.

Bob 
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 04:33:04 AM »
Thanks to everybody who has given their vision/meaning for this topic.
When I hear the rates that you have to pay for re-plating and the 'easy' access for purchasing NOS at a reasonable price, it is the proper way for handling this problem.
However, for a not US citizen it's not that easy :-[
When purchasing a NOS, then I have to add shipping costs, customs and VAT - making a total cost (for 1 piece) that's breath taking  :o
So, I must replate my existing parts, and when he ask me +/- $100  for re-chroming, I still do some profit  ;D

I do have another question concerning the mirror itself.
Bob (Gaines) has pointed out that the glass is date coded.
Where is it applied?
Is it like the windscreen?
At the backing plate (where the glass is mounted on) there are 2 letters 'R' and 'G' engraved, but on the glass itself I do not see anything.
Am I missing something, or is the glass been replaced over the years?
Could someone place a picture?
Thank you again for help and explanation.
Have a nice weekend,
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 06:41:54 PM »
I do have another question concerning the mirror itself.,,,,,,,,,,,
Where is it applied?

On the face of the mirror facing you as you would view it in the car - very small

Is it like the windscreen?

Smaller and just the date. Don't recall anything else included. Certainly not all the verbage one sees on a windshield, side or rear glass in a car.

Not an easy thing to get in a picture as the auto focus on the camera doesn't always catch the surface of the mirror as the focus point. Think I've tried but generally I get a blurry blob to indicate its location at best
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 01:27:12 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
I have looked and looked, but not seeing anything...
I posted a picture of the glass, can you say where the date code must be (which quadrant)?
And knowing that my car was built on 01/12/67 what would the date code (approximately) be?
Also, the edges off the glass are grinded somewhat in an angle (I do not know the correct term in English).
Must that be so, or otherwise when the edges must be straight - we can say it has been replaced over the years???
thanks for your help again!
Kind regards,
Jeroen 
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 04:52:44 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
I have looked and looked, but not seeing anything...
I posted a picture of the glass, can you say where the date code must be (which quadrant)?
And knowing that my car was built on 01/12/67 what would the date code (approximately) be?
Also, the edges off the glass are grinded somewhat in an angle (I do not know the correct term in English).
Must that be so, or otherwise when the edges must be straight - we can say it has been replaced over the years???
thanks for your help again!
Kind regards,
Jeroen
Typically a little up from the bottom edge . It is in the location of your middle line.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 10:38:46 PM »
Well I just had to try to get it in a photo but just as Jeff said it is blurry. At least you can see it at the top center of the mirror to the right of the garage door opener reflection.

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 02:35:22 AM »
Thanks Bob and Ruppstang,
I have never, ever looked so long in mirror ;), but didn't find/see it  :(
The whole mirror assembly is original, but apparently the glass isn't...
Sorry for repeating, but what would the date code (approximately) be for a January built car?
Is there a way for remove the glass out of the backing plate?
I assume it is glued in? So perhaps with heating?
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 05:29:29 PM »
They beat me to it. The edges are normally softened to reduce a sharp edge much like a vanity mirror in a home. Location of the date I believe varies between years/time periods.

Thanks for the picture Marty :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KevinK

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 12:48:06 AM »
I believe I saw someplace that Ford made a knob replacement kit which included crimping on a new knob and included instructions.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 09:49:20 AM »
The Knob is threaded and just screws on. At least it does on the 68 model.

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 11:28:45 AM »
I know this thread is on 67/68 but WCCC has a good 69/70 video on mirrors.

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 09:48:27 PM »
I got a better picture of the date code and also the profile of the edge.
Marty

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2016, 06:35:46 PM »
Finally got here where my '67 is yesterday. I checked my mirrors for codes on the glass. Here is what I found :

1) Original Driver's Side Remote - "1-DM1-7" on bottom center of glass

2) Passenger Side Matching Mirror - "3-DM1-3" on bottom center of glass (this was NOS and installed in early 80's).

3) "Extra" Driver's Side Remote - "12 JCG"  on top center of glass (picked this up as a spare in early 2000's). Exc Used.

4) Passenger Side Matching Mirror -  "2-DM1-7" on bottom center of glass. NOS in OB, picked up in late 90's.

Now the big question - what do these codes mean ?  All have C7AB bases.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2016, 06:35:45 PM »
in addition to Bob's question, can anybody give us also the approx. dimensions of that date code?
Is it possible that those date codes can be 'whipped out' due to elements and time?
it looks that my glass is an original, but can not see anything :(
If I have the explanation of Bob's question and knowing in which dimensions I must stay, it wouldn't be that difficult for making a new mirror and engraving the possible correct date?
Thanks,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 02:49:40 AM »
Sorry for reheating this topic, but I want to finalize the whole mirror assembly.
But would it be correct if my date for the rear view mirror is "1-DM1-7"
since my car was built on the 12Th of January?
I saw also the other thread (http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=14964.msg93253#msg93253)
And for being sure... is it 'DM1' or 'DMI' in the middle of the date code?

Can also somebody be so kind to give me the overall length and height of the date code?
Then I can ask at the glass shop for inscribing the date on the new glass.

thanks for your help!
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967