Author Topic: A/C hose strap  (Read 1932 times)

Offline astat1

A/C hose strap
« on: May 25, 2010, 04:31:13 AM »
Can someone post a photo of the rubberized metal strap that holds the A/C hoses together? Is only one needed? I saw a photo Jeff S posted on another forum installed (http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/concours-forum/598057-ac-hose-straps-1970-mach-1-a.html)  but the details are lacking. Any thoughts on how to make a replacement as they are no longer available. Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: A/C hose strap
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 09:58:58 PM »
Here is another shot - sorry not a great one - of them off the car

I would guess that you could get an original, trace a pattern (after removing the coating), duplicate them in thin steel (make at least a dozen while your at it ;), phosphate the metal then coat them using something like the tool handle coatings (what I used) available in black

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline astat1

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 06:44:46 AM »
Are the exposed metal portions just folded over each other or is there a hole in them for a retainer screw? And about what is the approximate width of the band? Thank Jeff.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:05:56 PM »
There is a slot in one end and the other end is narrowed so you insert the narrowed end through the slot in the other end then bend it over, locking it around the hoses. There is no provision for a screw since these just locak one hose to the other.

I'll try and remember to measure the width for you next day I'm at the shop
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline fla2005

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:06:55 PM »
I have two rubberized straps that might be what you need. They look like the  straps in the picture. Could be leftover from a 1970 Mach 1 with A/C resto that I did but I sold the car in January, 2005. If interested let me know. I can get picture to you.