Author Topic: Interior seam sealer  (Read 1737 times)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Interior seam sealer
« on: November 17, 2015, 02:05:50 PM »
After 5-1/2 years of reversing the effects of mother nature - rust never sleeps, I finally got to do some seam sealing.  It allowed me first hand to feel how it felt to work on the Ford assembly line....although my every-second was not being monitored by "the man"!

I used DAP 18270 to seal some of the seams on the interior.  This product flowed nicely out of the tube.  I flattened the nozzle of the tube in the vise to get a nice wide pattern.  Using Jeff's suggestion of trimming the bristles and wetting with mineral spirits allowed me to "artistically" seal those seams.  Hopefully this sealer will prove to be reliable.

Although my work is not remotely concours and my production rate is 1 car per decade, it was extremely gratifying to apply that sealer.

Thank you for the information on this site.

Mark

1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Interior seam sealer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »
After 5-1/2 years of reversing the effects of mother nature - rust never sleeps, I finally got to do some seam sealing.  It allowed me first hand to feel how it felt to work on the Ford assembly line....although my every-second was not being monitored by "the man"!...............

Often use that product on the (when correct for the year and plant) trunk drop seals at the bottom edge, around the inner seat belt anchors and the floor to rocker seals. Thanks for sharing your experiences - it really helps for those who are hesitant to "try" ;)

Again thanks for sharing - hopefully it will move forward quickly from here. We've all been there ;)

Although my work is not remotely concours and my production rate is 1 car per decade, it was extremely gratifying to apply that sealer.

Appreciate that you mentioned that the look (in all areas) is not concours - owners should research their cars and find what is best for there car. for a 69 the trunk floor to wheel wells are normally sprayed on giving a very different look than what is presented
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Re: Interior seam sealer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 01:19:53 PM »
My bad....the car I am working on is a July 67 Metuchen coupe.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967