Author Topic: '71 429 Convertible J Code Restoration  (Read 20767 times)

mac1971

'71 429 Convertible J Code Restoration
« on: December 08, 2015, 09:12:44 PM »
It has been a while since I posted on the car, it is now in the restoration shop after weeks of my disassembling, cataloguing parts and too many hours stripping very old paint... The attached picture shows the NOS DZ3 taillight panel installed on the car after the damage to the passenger side rear trunk pan was first completed. The new panel was required as the old one had been spliced (damaged part of existing tail light panel was removed and a new piece tacked in and bonded over... when the car had previous work completed many years ago.

Fortunately, when the car was on the frame/pulling machine, there was no damage to the unibody caused by the rear hit at the bumper mounting location. All measurements were confirmed as per the factory specs. The pan in this area was straightened out and the bracket then re-welded into the pan/frame area just in front of the tail light panel. The impact had pushed the bracket and trunk pan about 3" forward but caused no permanent damage. Additionally, the trunk pan area around the shock supports (both sides) were corrected by welding in new metal where the long term use of incorrectly installed air shocks had caused damage.

My goal with all of this work was to salvage the existing trunk pan and I was able to do so though the excellent work of my restoration shop here in West Lincoln, Ontario, Canada. If there are any members in the Ontario area frequenting this board; the shop is Randy Colyn Restorations, look him up; nice guy and he and his team take pride in their work. He has three Mustangs in the shop at the moment.

The replacement NOS D3Z taillight panel first required some work in order to be correct for a '71 installation. The attached picture shows a new welded in piece taken from my old panel at the area where the wire for the license plate light comes through the panel to the outside bumper area. Also, this area is indented on the '71 panel, but was flat on the new panel, so it had to be re-worked. It will look good once done.

The front battery apron was being replaced today with an NOS piece as well (due to previous battery acid damage...). Additionally, I had my shop fabricate a new battery support bracket (actually seen from the under passenger side fender area) to mimic exactly the original one that was on the car. As those in the know are already aware, these brackets are not being re-produced (that I am aware of) and I have seen many '71-3 cars where the battery apron is replaced, but the original exterior bracket is missing. Yes, the replacement battery aprons will more then likely hold the battery, but it is not original and as this battery is a Group 27 version, the extra support is welcomed.

I will post a picture of the new bracket install, the next time I am at the shop.

** I just added a picture of the underside of the passenger front fender. You can see the accumulated surface rust and also the factory applied undercoating in two areas where the plastic splash shield rub against the fender when installed. It looks as though someone on the assembly line used a paint brush and stroked the fender in these two area with undercoating.

I will be taking a number of parts for chemical dipping this week to remove mostly surface rust from a car that although spent most of its life in Arizona, all exposed non treated ( no rust proofing or paint of any kind) metal still built up some surface rust over the years due to normal oxidization, etc. This includes the doors, fenders, trunk lid, valances and all other steel parts that can benefit from this process. The hood will not be done, as there is no way of restoring the caulking between the top and bottom panels of the hood after the chemical stripping process will have removed the original material. We will do what we can on this the old fashioned way.

Its good to see the car making progress... I think I have accomplished a lot since September of this year when I first started the disassembly. Cheers

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:28:19 AM by mac1971 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '71 429 Convertible J Code Restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:54:00 PM »
Watching and enjoying :)

How different from the 69-70 battery reinforcements from the 71? 

Never compared the two yet - haven't needed to I should say
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 07:24:27 AM »
Watching and enjoying :)

+1 Nice progress report :D

It would be a good bonus to see pictures of the before/after repairs of the trunk floor around the shock absorber damage. I remember how terrible it was and how the recommendations went to repair it if at all possible. It sounds like you were very pleased with their work.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline nham3407

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »
Thank you for the update and keep them coming.  Great to see progress.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 08:29:09 PM »
........... Also, the new battery apron support bracket installed on the underside of the car - fabricated from scratch based on my old unit. They did a fantastic job on this piece! Cheers.

Thanks - not even close
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 11:13:04 PM »
All I can say is wow... great way to deflate months of hard work, dedication to the pursuit of a proper restoration of a car that was headed to the parts bin, etc.

I wont get into this with you,................

Me too -

Wow  didn't see that coming  and boy did my post get taken the wrong way.
I was referring to my previous post were I asked if the 69-70 brace was anything like the 71.

"How different from the 69-70 battery reinforcements from the 71?
Never compared the two yet - haven't needed to I should say"

After seeing your picture my comment was - "not even close" as it's apparent comparing the two.

Sorry you even thought I would respond in such a short, uncaring and unkind manner  to a member, owner and/or restorer
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:13:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline nham3407

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 11:44:43 AM »
To avoid any further confusion I will just say this is my original bracket received from West Coast Cougar to replace my missing original from a long ago partial restoration.  MAC1971 keep up the work and keep us posted.  This is a great community that never intends to offend a member. Sometimes messages can get crossed or unintended interpretation.  In my impression Jeff has been a great administrator, moderator, and champion for restoration process.

Offline bobboss351

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »
I have small fab shop  made some  forming tools to  reproduced this battery tray support bracket... there is no one else know to me that makes a bracket that is close to correct. there is considerable amount of time to make them correct with the correct nuts , flange and support impressions, I will post a couple of pictures of the first protypes,,,,, there 125.00 each,,,
 Bob Wilson, 1 651 485 9832 

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 10:21:54 PM »
Nice looking reproduction!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 01:39:22 AM »
Welcome back

Yes any of these projects can get overwhelming - highs and lows at every turn. Most of the time it feels like one step forward and two or three backwards but you can win.

If it was easy everyone would be doing it ;)

Looking good - BTW did you ever post or list (I forget) what the factory color was?
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 05:21:20 AM »
Ok... After a cooling off period, I came back today to read Jeff's explanation ...

I was very happy to see you had responded again! I truly wished to follow updates on your project. Odd thing is I didn't see this reply till after I woke up this morning (4am), yet while tending a fire at about 1am, the situation crossed my mind and I wondered if you would ever come back to this forum (tele-pathetic, maybe ??? )

Anyways, I seem to recall your car was a light blue of sorts, I assume you are going back to that color, correct? What is the Ford-given name for that color on 71 Mustangs?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 06:47:55 AM »
Your project is moving along very nicely.

I have to say one of the most interesting aspects of your example is the combination of "powder blue" (Pastel Blue) with a CJ 429. I can see a whole lot of 340 Dusters getting "dusted" by this sleeper and as many RS & SS Camaro's getting blown away too by this car! I've always been a huge fan of "sleepers"!
Richard Urch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 11:56:53 AM »
Work is progressing... the rear of the car has come together nicely after the necessary repairs due to a hit in the trunk pan and lower passenger side trunk lid area (minor) and the replacement of the tail light panel (with an NOS piece) both, from a previous accident... ... Suspension is almost ready to go on, car needs to be rolling soon for proper finishing... Cheers.
At the risk of you getting upset with me like you did with Jeff S. I would like to mention in a intended helpful way that most professional restoration shops put car on a rolling cart made to use the factory jig mounts instead of rolling on restored suspension parts. That procedure of installing suspension before paint is logically backwards and gives less then desirable results. The cart makes the car easy  (mostly easier because of swivel wheel/casters ) to move as well as keeping the detail work on fresh suspension from paint overspray dust etc.. No matter how hard you try taping off the suspension you will not get as good of a result as adding the suspension after the car is painted just like the factory did. I just hate to see all of your effort get compromised by a misstep and felt compelled to post.  Regardless of how you do it the best of luck with your project.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 05:31:54 PM »
Pastell blue..... ;) Cool

My car should also be Pastell Blue....70 Conv 428CJ.

AFAIK, only 2 71 429 CJ/SCJ convertibles in Scandinavia. One Red/ one White (Could easily be Pastell blue, but not sure)

Post more pics please.

Thanks

JohnB

Offline nham3407

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 06:43:46 PM »
Thank you for the update. Making very good progress.