Author Topic: Date Code Question: 67 San Jose Air Conditioner Case  (Read 1264 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Date Code Question: 67 San Jose Air Conditioner Case
« on: December 09, 2015, 07:08:20 AM »
The recent Article draft has got me thinking about a date I recall seeing years ago on the heater air conditioning case of my 67 Mustang. I went to look this morning at my unrestored case to look for what I recall seeing years ago, memory wants to tell me I saw a date ink stamped to the front lower side of the unit and the date was visable below the dash or glove compartment area. This date was not coded, as the article indicates for at least on the heater boxes. Memory wants to tell me the date was something on the order of Oct  ## 1966, similar to other "electrical" items in the article.

I found no such date today but it is evident that the lower portions below the dash took on some sun exposure so the date (or code) may have fallen off from ozone exposure. Behind the dash area, I see the "8 CYL" ink stamp clearly.

Has anyone else noticed a date or date code in this area on Select-Aire optioned 67-68's?

I have all af the gaskets & seals to restore my unit but if I should be on the lookout for a faded or deteriorated date or date code, I would like to narrow the search field down a bit. This job of decontamination will require rubber gloves and a mask since my "mice friends" got into it a few years back before pulling the car apart.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

Re: Date Code Question: 67 San Jose Air Conditioner Case
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 07:34:24 AM »
Richard, I'll check a couple when I get home.  I do recall as well a stamp on the blower motor (example pic attached). 
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
I'm going through several donor cases and found only one of five that have the "8-CYL" stamp.  This begs the question - is there a "6-CYL" version, and the chaser - what are the differences?

The 67 MPC lists the evaporator case as part 19A626.  The only one listed is C7OZ-19A626-A with Fairlane/Falcon application.  Nothing for the Mustang.

The evaporator is C7ZZ-19712-A, single part number for Mustang.  I do see for the Fairlane there is a different evaporator for 390 compared to 289 or 6 Cyl but that is not an 8-Cyl thing.

There are a few 8 vs 6 cyl items for the Galaxie and Falcon, but nothing for the Mustang.  I went through about 10 pages of A/C related parts.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 02:12:00 PM »
I'm going through several donor cases and found only one of five that have the "8-CYL" stamp.  This begs the question - is there a "6-CYL" version, and the chaser - what are the differences?

The 67 MPC lists the evaporator case as part 19A626.  The only one listed is C7OZ-19A626-A with Fairlane/Falcon application.  Nothing for the Mustang.

The evaporator is C7ZZ-19712-A, single part number for Mustang.  I do see for the Fairlane there is a different evaporator for 390 compared to 289 or 6 Cyl but that is not an 8-Cyl thing.

There are a few 8 vs 6 cyl items for the Galaxie and Falcon, but nothing for the Mustang.  I went through about 10 pages of A/C related parts.

Here is my take on the "8 Cyl" stamp

I believe the "8 Cyl" stamp is to identify the hoses pre-assembled to the unit for assembly line purposes AND I also believe that the units were pre-charged with the correct amount of R-12 freon so the workers simply snapped them together at the quick-disconnect fittings, once everything was in place (compressor, Condensor etc.) and opened up the valves. I am curious what others think went on at the factory in regard to the otherwise 'strange' items used in these early AC systems.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 06:45:53 PM »
I "like" the idea of the preinstalled heater hoses and the marking of the case to indicate that difference. That does seem to make sense since nothing else comes to mind that would make a difference between the V8 and 6 cylinder. But that possibly does raise the question of why they didn't mark the non-AC cases with the V8

Its not unusual for Ford or their suppliers to use no marks to indicate one of the more common applications since it saves time and effort. Like bodies on the Assembly line. The more common 2V or 4V engine combinations are not indicated on the front of the body while (depending on year) 6 cylinder, K codes, big blocks  are

Just for comparison 69-70 AC cases are ink marked with "V8" or  "302 390 V8"
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline COSix7

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 12:22:52 AM »
I cannot see a date code on my 67 San Jose box (at least not without removal); as another 8CYL example, I've attached a pic with the 8CYL stamp applied over a piece of cloth tape holding the thermostatic switch sensing tube to the box. 
67 Coupe Sports Sprint 289 2V, 3 Speed, 7R01C2234XX
19 June 67 San Jose build, Maroon Met exterior, Red interior
PS, Select-Aire A/C, AM Radio, Full Console, 211K+ miles, still driven occasionally, work in progress!