Author Topic: California License Plate  (Read 10072 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: California License Plate
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 03:54:12 PM »
I used this place out of florida with excellent results,(they are made out of aluminum) https://www.licenseplates.tv/antiquecollector.php
I dug up an old document regarding license plates in california, just a partial listing but it may help.

Not sure of the source or the time frame for that list (have seen it before)

Looking at my records I would guess it might apply to when the change over to change from the yellow plates to the black plates took place - since have examples of 65's that don't match up (use later sequences) with what is shown on the sheet

Info would be great for the 63 and maybe the 64 crowd of vintage car owners IMHO
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:26:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 04:21:17 PM »
I used this place out of florida with excellent results,(they are made out of aluminum) https://www.licenseplates.tv/antiquecollector.php
I dug up an old document regarding license plates in california, just a partial listing but it may help.
The link conveniently omits California, and the attachment is the initial allocation of California plates. As DMV offices ran out, they got another batch.
Looking at my records I would guess it might apply to when the change over to the yellow plates took place -
Do you mean change to a black plate with yellow printing?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 05:26:13 PM »
........Do you mean change to a black plate with yellow printing?
Fix it - change from yellow to black plates
Jeff Speegle

Offline mustang6er

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2016, 02:19:57 PM »
The link conveniently omits California, and the attachment is the initial allocation of California plates. As DMV offices ran out, they got another batch. Do you mean change to a black plate with yellow printing?
Jim
I never checked to see if they still did california plates, they used to, i had a pair made from there, must have had a legal issue and dropped them. Here is another that does very good work= Ray Ray out of san diego, click this link and see post #3 http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/474175-who-refurbishes-license-plates.html  he is very strict though, won't make a plate unless you have a registration slip showing the number you want, and proof its yours.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2016, 03:03:27 PM »
I never checked to see if they still did california plates, they used to, i had a pair made from there, must have had a legal issue and dropped them.....

I believe that statement is TRUE. I had a pair made there probably 5-6 years ago...no issues and they looked GREAT (except the backs were YELLOW, they used the same plate for pre-62 cars and simply flipped them over depending on color/vintage requested)

I painted the backs of mine SGB to match the fronts and they now look 100% authentic....So far all I have done with my plates is to show them to people off the car. Car isn't ready yet anyways ;)

I bought mine ABOUT THE TIME Calif began re-issuing YOM Plates too... so I believe people were ordering and using the reproduction plates AGAINST THE SUGGESTION of the plate stamping company (They claimed them for off road, or show purposes ONLY and I imagine a few idiots ruined it for those who were actually following the rules.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:05:34 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2016, 12:12:03 PM »
Found a shop. Asked them if they stamp in my original number. Waiting for answer. Cost $180 + $35 shipping + 25% tax and fees :o

Ralf

Here we go.....

1st picture
Orig. number plate (which didn't come with) on the car when sold in 2014:

2nd picture
Repro plate, incl. orig tags (NOV, 2014)

Looking for the frame now...
Does anyone has a plate frame like shown in 1st picture?
1967|Ford|Mustang?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:24:23 PM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2016, 04:26:03 PM »
Here we go.....

1st picture

2nd picture
Repro plate, incl. orig tags (NOV, 2014)

Yep that's the later plate (after the original period - black plates  and before the white plates)

1967|Ford|Mustang?

They don't still make those (available through the usual Mustang parts houses)? Always see them at swap meets new and used so thought they were still being made/sold.
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2016, 07:15:17 PM »
1st picture

1967|Ford|Mustang?
They don't still make those (available through the usual Mustang parts houses)? Always see them at swap meets new and used so thought they were still being made/sold.
National Parts Depot, $9.95 each, 64 1/2 thru 70.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2016, 03:05:49 AM »
Yep that's the later plate (after the original period - black plates  and before the white plates)

An overview:

Information on 1963- present plates:

1963 was the last year a complete new plate issuance to all vehicles occured (the plates had a black background and chrome yellow characters).
    1970 is the year the basic plate was changed to a blue background with yellow characters. It was also the last year any black/yellow plates were issued.
    1976, year round registration started which requires a month expiration sticker afixed to the upper left hand corner of the plate.
    1982 is the year when the standard plate was changed to a white background with blue characters with a sun graphic and CALIFORNIA in red block letters.
    It was also the last year any blue/yellow plates were issued.
    1987, reflectorized plates with CALIFORNIA in red block letters were issued. The sun graphic was discontinued.
    1991, only reflectorized basic plates were issued.
    1993, the word CALIFORNIA was changed to red script.
    1997, stickers were made with background colors that change every year and characters printed in black.
    Basic plates issued from 1998 through 2000 contain the words SESQUICENTENNIAL - 150 YEARS in red block letters at the bottom of the plates.
    2001, the basic plate is white with blue characters and CALIFORNIA in red script. There is no writing at the bottom of the plate.

And thx Jim.
But Scott Drake and NPD have only the "bended" frames, I'm looking for the "flat" version. Like shown on my car.
May be smb has this frame and does not need it anymore?

Ralf
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 06:27:04 AM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2016, 05:41:11 PM »
Monroe since Calif is pretty large - what part of the state were you located. As mentioned it depended on the region office and how many registrations they went through in a period so specific first letters can vary a bit. Some of your letters do not include some that we have documented as originals (things like matching the original sales or owners manual for example). 

Did you happen to write the cars VIN on the license plates as a way to tie them to a specific time or maybe when and were they were first sold?  Without that its sort of a guess to match them up. For example a 67 left on the lot into 68 production would get a later license plate than an early 68 that came in and was sold quickly. Discussions earlier on other sites included DMV workers from the 60-70's which were helpful in explaining the whole allocation of plates to high volume and those other remove areas like behind the "redwood curtain" or the north east 

Examples - have even F and K's used on early 65 cars and have a number of N's and M's in later 65

Just saying have allot of documented ones that don't fit the pattern. The DMV people (ex employees) were allot of help explaining things  :)

Here's another data point for your records Jeff...

My car (7R03S110xxx) was built eight days ahead of schedule (per the Marti Report) on Sept. 22, 1966.  It was shipped to Harrold Ford in Sacramento, where it sat on the lot until it was finally sold (to a woman who lived in Sacramento) on April 20, 1967.  The California black/yellow plate that was issued to the car at that particular time and location was UMN 089.

Hope this helps!
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2016, 09:55:19 PM »
Here's another data point for your records Jeff...

My car (7R03S110xxx) was built eight days ahead of schedule (per the Marti Report) on Sept. 22, 1966.  It was shipped to Harrold Ford in Sacramento, where it sat on the lot until it was finally sold (to a woman who lived in Sacramento) on April 20, 1967.  The California black/yellow plate that was issued to the car at that particular time and location was UMN 089.

Got it - thanks  :)
Jeff Speegle