Author Topic: Decal - Aftermarket Emission Sticker  (Read 2358 times)

Offline bazza

Decal - Aftermarket Emission Sticker
« on: January 28, 2016, 03:17:17 AM »
Can anyone tell me what this decal is?
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:23:21 PM by J_Speegle »
67 Dearborn S code coupe Built 8/17/67

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Decal type
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 06:16:09 AM »
Is this a car that possibly was sold or driven in California? It looks a lot like the remnants of a NOX sticker (Kar-Kit NOX system? if I recall?) I had to have the kit put on my 67 when I went to get my first smog inspection in the late 70's. The kit consisted of an underhood sticker, a dash sticker and two rubber caps for use in place of the vacuum advance hose on the distributor. I cannot remember the years of cars requiring a NOX kit (there were several other types on the market ~smog shops sold them on cars which the state determined needed them) but something says it was like '59-73 (cars before Catalytic Converters)

The installer of mine handed me back the vacuum hose he removed (and capped off), with a wink, saying it runs better when put back on.

NOX is a pollutant created from spark detonation (octane ping) and retarding the ignition timing was a "quick fix" idea used to help with tailpipe emissions. In the 70;s, California had not yet switched to using a Dynamometer while testing cars. You couldn't test a car for NOX without a dyno so the quick-fix was run all non-cat cars retarded. (realize that during the 70's, a vast majority of cars on the road were these 59-73, non-catalytic cars)

Sounds retarded, yes? Well, so were your cars! They pushed the timing back a couple of degrees from spec and removed the advance hose! Throttle response went WAY gown and gas consumption went up  and because of the retarded timing, exhaust heat also went WAY UP (picture "glowing red"), thus burning off the extra fuel dumped into these non-catalyst converter cars which were a huge contributor to the smog of the densly populated areas of the State of California.

This crap also promoted sales of the newer cars, (who wants to drive a sluggish, gas-guzzler during an energy crisis?)

A real win-win for the EPA!

YES, RETARDED!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:56:50 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 09:05:04 AM »
You've got a good memory Richard, it does say Kar Kit.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 11:40:03 AM »
Just happen to have one of those.  Pretty sure it came off of a California car.  69 Cougar, vert, 35? ci.  Placed on the snorkle of the air cleaner.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 12:30:03 PM »
Good seeing the image of the whole sticker. I see reference to a glove box manual. I thought it had a glove box manual too at one point in time, (so that part of my memory was unclear ~we'll blame it on regular consumption of "adult beverages" of years gone by) I'm not sure I still have the manual today (nor do I care! I can look at the junk I cleaned from the glove box if somebody cares to see a manual but likely it was thrown out once I no longer needed to smog check it.)
I did remember the sticker, mine used to be on the passengers shock tower, I removed the sticker in '97, during a repaint under the hood. By 97,California law no longer required me to get a bi-annual smog inspection. (by '98, I was back in Ohio so it didn't matter anymore!)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Decal - Aftermarket Emission Sticker
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 02:22:48 PM »
Could be one of many different systems - decals were fairly similar at least from what little bit you found. Two I can think of is the Kar Kit but the NOX decal was the same color and had the same border. The Kar Kit got me through some issues in the past (since it was cheap, basic and easy to remove/undo)  ::)

There were multiple different systems and kits - have the books and plenty of illustration/pictures but they are of little use for our purposes so no reason to post all that ;)

Relabeled the threads so others will not spend allot of time thinking this might relate to concours stuff - just a dot on the ol history map
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KevinK

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »
Thanks for the info. My 67 had the Nox unit on it when I got the car last fall. It had No stickers that I am aware of. I assumed it was part of the engine replacement in the mid 80s as a 74 motor was installed at that time. It sounds like it was a much earlier program.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline bazza

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 06:24:27 PM »
Richard, yes the car spent time in CA, wasn't sure how long for, but going by the generally rust free condition and this sticker, probably quite awhile.
Thanks everyone for clarifying what this decal is.
67 Dearborn S code coupe Built 8/17/67

Offline preaction

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 06:33:56 PM »
Would a classic mustang driven in California today still need to have all of its original smog parts in working order to be driven as a weekend driver.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 07:15:33 PM »
Would a classic mustang driven in California today still need to have all of its original smog parts in working order to be driven as a weekend driver.

Yes. We didn't change the requirement for emissions but just the requirement for the bi-annual test. The state every year or so tries to reinstate the tests since many in the state believe personal vehicles are not good for mother earth. Going to stop there before I get political. When the law got changed I was one of 6 people that spoke before the Senate panel in Sacramento on the subject so fairly familiar what took and the ongoing battle. As some of you know - I have a problem with getting involved when I see a need  ::)

State Agencies use to really flip out when I would call them directly telling them that I represented owners who wanted to return all the "original" emission systems to their cars and they need to correct their  documentation. Also worked as a subject matter expert for some of these discussions and the referee station conflicts over the years

Bottom line is that unless you get stopped by a road side monitor (sniffer on the highway on ramp) or one of the portable emission test stations there is no one checking. But as mentioned that can change in a (government) moment.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:17:36 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)