Author Topic: 1971 429cj convertible under body sound deadener/paint application???  (Read 4550 times)

mac1971

Hello,

I am getting closer to having final paint applied to my car. I have spent considerable time researching the issue of the factory application process for sound deadener in all areas of the car before and after paint; underbody, trunk and interior areas. The obvious areas are clear as to application i.e. transmission tunnel area, partial floor board areas, etc.

But, when I look at the interior trunk area , the front outer fender areas and the interior area of the car, I am not sure. After 44 years, the car's available evidence as to proper application in these areas were not clear. Additionally, if someone could clarify what areas should be applied with sound deadener before painting, what areas area applied after paint etc., would be helpful. There are many various opinions on line and I can come up with my own if required based on these thoughts, but I figured it would be prudent to approach the knowledgeable people on this page to get opinions from those familiar with the '71 convertible Dearborn built cars. I then want to be able to go to my paint shop with a concise plan of action in the near future.

Additionally, I could use some help on all areas of the car that are suppose to be painted the factory colour. This goes hand in hand with the above, trying to determine what gets applied and when. My shop has an opinion but they are not Ford Mustang experts. Therefore, I need to make that determination. I appreciate any help those in the know can provide to me. The car will be going in for paint in the next two weeks or so. Cheers.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1971 429cj convertible under body sound deadener/paint application???
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
Big big subject so if I may can we go through this section by section. Think that will keep a it bit more organized and easier to follow for others that will see it and for others (if they choose) comment on. Will help as I can - as you know the 71-3s are as heavily covered/research as some of the other years.

So lets start with the trunk. Since its typically covered with Zonotone the sealers and sound deadeners are more difficult to see when compared to the earlier years where there is only paint.

Will collect, organize and post some pictures to get the process going. Could you remind us when your car was built so we can try and find cars built about the same time if possible?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 01:52:24 AM »
Guess with those pictures we would ask (so I'm asking ;)  what interior did the car come with?
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 06:48:57 PM »
Thanks -

Ok so we don't need to find examples for the floor/undercarriage - still not sure why they did the floor sound deadener on a standard interior but there it is

All the pictures appear that you have the typical sound deadener applied (before exterior color) applied to the inside of the quarter panels - staying back from all four edges by at least a few inches and in most cases away from the marker light so that it would sit flush with the surface ones installed.

Seam sealers as usual, applied before the body color also

At some point before any parts were installed (except for the metal floor plugs) it appears that the openings in the trunk (taillight holes, bumper bolt and marker light holes were masked off from the outside the trunk and the zonatone finish was applied.

Trunk pictures

Rear Wheel Wells

Like other years rear wheel well sound deadener was applied before body color was applied - likely at the same station adn time as the trunk surfaces were done. Unlike earlier years it appears that at least some workers were playing it safe and stayed well away from the outer lip of the wheel well lip as shown on the cars in the following pictures

Will find  and post some front wheel well. Of course this sound deadener would have been applied (like other years) after the car was completely assembled but likely with the front wheels and tires off or at least that will make it allot easier for you applying the product today
Jeff Speegle

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 08:40:43 AM »
a typo there....should be 'zolotone'.
5F09C331248

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 09:43:42 AM »
a typo there....should be 'zolotone'.

Close - "Zolatone" with an "a"   ;)  ::)

http://www.quest-ip.com/trusted-brands/zolatone/
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline nham3407

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 05:26:04 PM »
All great comments from Jeff.  I would like to add that my research indicates that the rubber round plugs in the trunk floor would have been installed prior to zolotone being applied.  I think your pictures do a very good job accounting for your car.  Also per the judging rules for 71-73 you should have some zolotone splatter on the trunk floor seal for the gas inlet pipe.  Here are some pictures for my 72 zolotone application in a fastback mind you.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 05:38:15 PM »
All great comments from Jeff.  I would like to add that my research indicates that the rubber round plugs in the trunk floor would have been installed prior to zolotone being applied.  I think your pictures do a very good job accounting for your car.  ............

I'm been finding original examples of 71's suggesting that they were installed after the multi color and on 72-3's before. Similar to the marker lights and filler hoses.

Notice no shadow from the filler neck being in place when the Zonatone was applied

Looks IMHO like there was a change (likely from 1971 to the 1972 production) at some point with the order of things done.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 05:46:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 06:10:28 PM »
Thank-you for this, some good shots, many line up with what I could see on my car during tear down. I have many other pictures as well, but I get a little perplexed as to the process for reapplying all sound deadeners, paint etc. Relying solely on a restoration shop that albeit, does good work , is not a sole source Mustang/Cougar shop.

Not unusual and its common for shops to not possess nor have the time to research all the little/important things that owners want. IMHO its a good shop that can accept help and input to get those additional details to make the car more correct. Not all of them are that accepting.

You mention about the sound deadener being applied to under the car with a standard interior; does that mean generally this should not have occurred? I would have thought possibly, the opposite, given that the standard interior would more than likely mean that the sound insulation was weaker to begin with throughout the interior, hence increase or apply the underbody sound deadener? In any case and you confirmed, it was clearly applied to this car at the factory.

You pictures show that they apparently did add the additional sound deadener to standard cars that year. Not the case in other years as it normally (in those examples) came with a higher level interior or option package at additional cost. We do have some cases where they don't match - just still trying to figure out all the details so that we help others

......"typical sound deadener applied (before exterior color) applied to the inside of the quarter panels - staying back from all four edges by at least a few inches and in most cases away from the marker light so that it would sit flush with the surface ones installed."

Is this the only area in the trunk that would have seen the spray on application of sound deadener? My trunk was in really rough shape...

Yes

I am sorry, not familiar with the word "zonotone", but am I correct to assume this is the spray on dark/grey speckle paint? If so, am I then correct to assume that the application of this product would be the complete trunk floor area, the lower trunk drop offs, the 1/4 panel interiors (similar application, but over top of the initially applied sound deadener), the top of the inner wheel well areas (not to far upwards as shown in the red vert picture below), but, not the inside of the rear tail lite housing?

Taillights, markers, filler neck or at least the rubber seal and no interior in the car yet. A painter would have tried to paint all visible surfaces (standing up as an owner would do viewing the trunk) inside the trunk area. They would have needed to stay away from things like the top upper edge of the taillight panel so that they would not blow paint back towards the next car following the one being painted or as seen in the example all the upper surfaces and forward corners generally So yes all of the sealers and sound deadener would have been covered by this last coat.  While we're on it you might want to talk to your paint shop and see if they are going to top coat the Zonatone or what ever paint their using. The products can be a bit dedicate and some typically top coat it with a clear to make it hold up better - I did. Just see what their experience, with the product they are using  has been

With respect to the front wheel well areas, your confirmation below would confirm that in these areas, there would be no paint application of any kind after the spray application with sound deadener, unless you have further comments in this regard?

"Of course this sound deadener would have been applied (like other years) after the car was completely assembled but likely with the front wheels and tires off or at least that will make it allot easier for you applying the product today"

Correct - sound deadener was the last spraying that was typically done in the front wheel wells

As I think about the final paint application, a couple questions come to mind:

This may seem like a dumb question, but in general, what areas of the car received the final paint application (in this case the pastel blue)? I am not familiar with the assembly line practices, but as far as I can tell the car received the factory paint in the following areas:

- complete exterior...
- the interior, but not inside the doors (bare metal, which I will not leave bare this time around, will incorporate at least a primer of sorts for metal protection)
- various overspray under the car based on the employee applying...
- inside of the front fenders?

Since you have a 71 its slightly different than other years. The interior was pretty much covered with either the base red oxide with a little or allot (depending on the where the surface was in comparison with the exterior panels where paint was being focused on) or if it was a vertical or horizontal surface and how those would have "caught" any overspray pushed into that surface. You may have found some sections where a light gray primer surfacer is visible but mostly the exterior color. Interior side would normally have a  pretty good paint job on them from painting the jambs and such. Really not sure if they were still hanging the rear valances before the paint process but would guess they were like all the earlier years. This means that all of the screws were attached to the taillight panel and the valance just hung at the bottom to be pulled into the bottom after the paint process

The doors and trunk lid would have been installed when the exterior color was applied so all the hinges, springs and mounting hardware would have been body color

At this point I guess I should have asked if you car had the bottom argent or black detail. This makes a difference as to how the lower part of the body of the car was painted, and what the undercarriage overspray would have looked like

Inside of the front fenders would have normally been like all the other year Mustangs. Take a look at all the other posts in the other years to get an idea of what was done. Basically a little or allot (nice paint job) of body color. If a little overspray should be in those logical locations directly behind those surfaces that were important on the exterior of the fender and at the door jam

Guess I need time finish all those "How the cars were painted" articles for the site.
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 06:40:12 PM »
Front Wheel Wells

Sorry I don't have a ton of pictures - in fact very few. But here is what I can offer

The sound deadener pattern and application can vary allot. By 71 they appears to normally be a fairly heavy and wide applications when compared to some other years and plants. Remember that in the following pictures this is only the inner fender panels so the sound deadener application would often (but not always) include the front and rear splash shields and the bottom of the fender. 

I attempted to high light the area where it appears the deadener pattern is as I have done in the past in other threads

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 10:22:07 PM »
Oh, the only black out on the car is the ram air hood option, the remainder of the car is the body colour (and the rear tail light area blackout for the applique installation).

Good then you'll just have the regular body color overspray followed by the pinch weld black out details on the undercarriage like all the earlier years

And - Your Welcome.  More than happy helping out (that's what the site it here for). Would rather than help than point out short comings after the work and effort has been made
Jeff Speegle