Author Topic: Positive Battery Cables  (Read 9085 times)

Offline bluemax

Positive Battery Cables
« on: December 13, 2013, 09:46:56 AM »
I have been meaning to do this for awhile now, but after several NOS cables sold on eBay recently, I thought it was time.

There have been several iterations of the E3SZ-14300-A (Motorcraft  WC-8540) positive battery cable since these cars rolled off the assembly line. I have attached pics of each version from my personal collection of parts.

The original cables had more of an angled terminal cover with POS lettered in white. The convaluted plastic tubing was taped at the end with the black "cloth" tape. The Engineering part number was also printed on the cable itself "Motorcraft E3SF-14300-AB". The part in this picture was the original cable on my '86 CP.

The second version to be used was close to the original with the angled terminal cover and the tubing was taped with cloth black tape, but the Engineering part number was printed on a label and taped to the cable. This style was the version that sold on eBay recently.

The third version, what we commonly see on "restored" cars in the show field today, has a more rectangular terminal cover and the tubing is taped at the end with vinyl black tape. This particular part was made on 10-05-99.

With the latest version, the service part has a rectangular terminal cover with an end around the cable. This particular part was made on 06-15-05.

While the third and fourth versions are correct service parts from Ford, they are not "concours" correct.

I hope this helps and I welcome any discussion on this topic.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:46:48 AM by bluemax »

Offline rodster

Re: Positive Battery Cables
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »
Great info! Good to know when looking at original cars or walking swap meets.  Fortunately I have one of the NOS 'correct' ones.   :)

Thanks for sharing.

Now, about those black Marchal fog light covers.  ;)
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline bluemax

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:03:25 PM »

Now, about those black Marchal fog light covers.  ;)

There is a NOS pair on eBay right now. These are correct for the SVO... it will be interesting to see how much it sells for.  ::)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 11:06:28 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to post these photos!   (Those trying to restore an SVO will save money from buying the wrong item)  THanks

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 02:13:52 AM »
Had to compare my original 84 to a service replacement and you are right.... eng number on the cable of the original.   ;)

Interesting that my 83 TBird has an exposed pos cable end and no cover?  Maybe it was a later (than 5/83)  thing or else just not used on the TBird line?
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline bluemax

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:40:57 AM »

Interesting that my 83 TBird has an exposed pos cable end and no cover?  Maybe it was a later (than 5/83)  thing or else just not used on the TBird line?

I would assume that the cover has been lost, removed, etc. I have never seen a positive battery cable without a cover... they were even used on the early cars.

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 11:49:51 PM »
I know this is the Concours Mustang forum so sorry for straying, but at least it's a Ford.  ;)

Bought the 83 TBird new so I know for sure it never had the cover.  Also saw (and think I have pictures of) a 6000 mile 83 TBird, no cover either.  Both Lorain built cars.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 11:54:11 PM »
I would assume that the cover has been lost, removed, etc. I have never seen a positive battery cable without a cover... they were even used on the early cars.
I don't know how early a car you are referring to but the 67-70 Mustangs did not have a cover on the positive cable end. I am not sure on 71-3.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bluemax

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 07:09:24 AM »
I don't know how early a car you are referring to but the 67-70 Mustangs did not have a cover on the positive cable end. I am not sure on 71-3.

Thank you for the clarification. I was using my experience with the 65-66 cars and made a bad assumption. Very interesting info. though.

As for the '83 T-bird question... another bad assumption. I do know that '84-86 SVO's all received covers on the POS terminal. I should stick to thst  ::)

Nothing I hate worse than spreading mis-information.

Offline SVOSeth

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 12:00:24 AM »
2020! Looks like this cable is now in production by Daniel Carpenter! LMR has them and others vendors as well.