Author Topic: License Plate Frames  (Read 10557 times)

Offline chalkys_explorer

License Plate Frames
« on: June 04, 2010, 05:02:39 PM »

So I'm curious. I know that there was a front license plate frame that was used on the SVO's, shipped from the factory for all cars, but I have never seen any mention of a frame for the rear plate.

Was it the same? Was there one at all or was it assumed that the selling dealer would use one of their "promotional" frames??

I am curious for the sake of authenticity and hope someone knows the answer. The more I learn about these cars the more I realise I don't know:):):)
84 1C MA 3EF132078 .....amongst others

Offline bluemax

Re: License Plate Frames
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 05:23:20 PM »
Good question Chris.

I would like to get Greg Hess' input on this as he has NOS examples of both a front (E2GZ-17A387-A) and a rear (D9AB-17394-AWA).

Are you sure that all SVO's were shipped with a front plate frame? I have a front NOS frame and mounting bracket in the original box for my CP (Chicago DSO), but my other one came from Miami without a front plate. I had always assumed that the dealer installed the front plate and mtg. bracket based upon the State tag requirements.

Since the front plate utilizes a different mounting bracket than the rear, I would assume the actual frames are different.

Offline chalkys_explorer

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:07:08 PM »

From what I've been able to ascertain all Ford cars are shipped with front license plate mounting brackets regardless of state of destination and it fitted at the dealership as part of pre-delivery, similar to locking lug nuts.

Are the numbers you quoted for the plate frame or the mounting brackets?? I'm unsure, and technically there isn't a rear mounting bracket, just two plastic recepticles that push into the twilight panel.

Offline bluemax

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:13:44 PM »
Here is some more info. on the subject.

I have attached some pics of the front license plate bracket and frame kit (E4ZX-17A387-AB) and the front license plate frame (E2GZ-17A387-A).

According to the '86 parts manual; the part number for the front license plate mounting bracket is E4ZZ-17A385-A (same as GT models), the front frame is E2GZ-17A387-A, the rear frame is D7AZ-17A387-A (for all Mustangs). The D9 number that I quoted earlier from Greg Hess is probably the engineering number on the frame itself.

Chris, yes, you are correct, technically there is not a bracket on the tail lamp panel. My point was that the two frames are different because of how the license plate is mounted.

I agree that the front brackets are dealer installed. I know Ken is the original owner of his '85.5 2A, I wonder if it came with the front bracket and frame and if so, does he still have it.

Offline Ken Potter

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:57:12 PM »
Did you mean me and my 2R? 

When I was taking delivery a bunch of the folks from both the sales and the service departments came out and were checking it out. There was a truckers strike on at the time ( 8/8/85 ) and the only cars allowed off the rail lot were the ordered / pre-sold cars. I had to wait at the dealer for them to bring it over.

One of the sales guys was trying to stick a plastic dealer emblem on the hatch and I wouldn't let him. As I was talking to him at the back of the car one of the service guys came out with the front plate bracket and a drill / tools to install it. I caught him just in time as he was about to drill the front cover.

I was getting kinda POd at this point and told them I wanted no other markings or holes in the bodywork other than what came from the factory. They said that they wanted everybody to know where to come buy one so we settled on a metal dealer frame for the rear plate which I still have on the car.

The service guy disappeared with the frame so I never got it. Since it was supposed to have been their new demonstrator I did get some other dealer options in a separate box. They threw in front and rear carpeted floormats, a self dimming rear view mirror kit, and a magnetic oil drain plug.

When they quit selling them I also got all the dealer posters, some sales brochures, and a sales literature "blue sheet". I wish now that I had purchased some more of the Motorsports items that they had in their store. I see them on EBay going for good money... :(
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:59:38 PM by Ken Potter »

Offline bluemax

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:03:54 AM »
Did you mean me and my 2R? 

Yep, sorry about that. I guess I had my '86 2A on my mind. It is a Jacksonville DSO and did not come with the front plate bracket. It is another "truckers strike" story in that the original owner ordered an '85.5, but due to the strike, an '86 arrived (it is a very early '86 VIN). He was not a happy camper and so the dealer threw in cruise and floor mats to sweeten the deal.  ::)

Thanks for your input, great story.  :)

Offline bluemax

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 08:59:01 AM »
I have a few more pictures comparing my rear plate frame to the NOS front plate frame. The rear frame engineering number stamped on the frame is D8AB-17A394-AWA (same number as what is on the installation instruction sheet). I am not sure how this compares to the part number listed in the '86 parts manual (D7AZ-17A387-A).

Offline chalkys_explorer

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »

It's interesting to see the front and rear plates next to each other and compare the differences. Although they are minor; mounting tab square versus rounded, black flat area on front; they are different. Makes one wonder why Ford chose to use the different plate frames front and rear??

As for the part numbers, Ford's engineering (assembly line) numbers are often very different from the part numbers used in the service parts catalogue. As a case in point, I did a photo study of a low mile 85. One of the heater hoses had an E4SH-18D334-AA part number. This number is what appears in the assembly process sheet but the replacement part number is E4ZZ-18472 something. Another way to tell and original car from a restored one.

Offline 8T6 SVO

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 11:53:17 PM »
Here's my 2 cents. 

The rear plate I have is a D9AB-17A394-AWA part # and a D8AB-17A394-AWA engineering number on the part.  It looks identical to the one Matt posted and looks the same as the E2GZ-17A387-A front plate.

Offline 1966sprint200

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »
I am new to concoursmustang website.  I own three 65-66 Mustangs but recently came across the D8AB-17A394-AWA / D9AB-17A394-AWA license frame still incased in a plastic sleeve which you guys are discussing.  I do not need this frame & would like for it to go to a good home -- someone who will use it on their concours Mustang & not resale it.  Would like my shipping costs covered is all.  It is the silver version with black stripe & appears in mint condition & has the paper instructions included.  Let me know if you're interested - Dean
1966 Sprint 200 HT -- first car owned since '84
1966 "A" code factory GT FB w/ factory 4 speed
2006 GT coupe -- daily driver
MCA #29807

Offline 1966sprint200

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 08:25:52 PM »
Pics --
MCA #29807

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 08:40:49 PM »
prices are required on items for sale.
5F09C331248

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 10:02:03 AM »
I am new to concoursmustang website.  I own three 65-66 Mustangs but recently came across the D8AB-17A394-AWA / D9AB-17A394-AWA license frame still incased in a plastic sleeve which you guys are discussing.  I do not need this frame & would like for it to go to a good home -- someone who will use it on their concours Mustang & not resale it.  Would like my shipping costs covered is all.  It is the silver version with black stripe & appears in mint condition & has the paper instructions included.  Let me know if you're interested - Dean

WELCOME DEAN, Your offer of Free (cover shipping) is very nice BUT I'll go you one better !!!    Let me know what you need for your early car (s) something I can ship of value and we will trade.    I may not see as I will be traveing this week - but can send after Easter.     

Mark svo85half@sbcglobal.net  (you can send your address and wish )
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline 1966sprint200

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
I believe your moderator deleted my somewhat snarky post about the frame WAS NOT for sale & that it was spoken for.  Sorry
MCA #29807

Offline 8T6 SVO

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 11:05:51 PM »
I believe your moderator deleted my somewhat snarky post about the frame WAS NOT for sale & that it was spoken for.  Sorry

I think your part is a tremendous asset to the SVO community.  Thank you for your consideration!!!  Hope it went to a good home.