Author Topic: Shock Tower Replacement - Techniques Used ???  (Read 2696 times)

Offline 65ptoGT

Shock Tower Replacement - Techniques Used ???
« on: February 14, 2016, 06:59:01 PM »
Hello all,

I'm needing to replace the shock tower assembly on my '65 coupe.  I ordered a 2 piece assembly and am now wondering if there is a correct method to use when installing it.  Do I weld the shock tower onto the frame rail first?  Or do I weld the motor mount support brace to the shock tower before attempting to weld to the frame rail?  It seems like I should weld the shock tower onto the frame rail first then weld the motor mount support brace onto the shock tower & frame rail.  This is the first time attempting this process and I don't want to dork it up.

Thanks

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: Shock Tower Replacement - Techniques Used ???
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 10:42:04 PM »
I would say it could be done either way without a problem as long as the mount does not block areas that require welding to the frame rail. The main thing you want to do is make sure the unibody is in the correct position before welding it in. I am guessing you are replacing these parts due to rust and the towers tend to sag inward. I recommend purchasing a original or NOS export brace and have that bolted up to the cowl panel and the replacement shock towers. This provides a fixture to make sure the tower is in the correct position. The lower unibody can be measured with X measurements from specs in the factory shop manual or online. Drill out all the spot welds carefully and replace with the equal amount of plug welds. Hopes this helps and good luck!
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline 65ptoGT

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 11:02:18 AM »
Thanks for your comments. It didn't occur to me to bolt on the tower brace... great idea that just makes sense. The shock tower had the typical bottom rust-out & I didn't like the idea of trying to patch it. I forsee a lot of careful measuring and clamp placement in my future. Thanks again.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 03:46:30 PM »
I would say it could be done either way without a problem as long as the mount does not block areas that require welding to the frame rail. The main thing you want to do is make sure the unibody is in the correct position before welding it in. I am guessing you are replacing these parts due to rust and the towers tend to sag inward. I recommend purchasing a original or NOS export brace and have that bolted up to the cowl panel and the replacement shock towers. This provides a fixture to make sure the tower is in the correct position. The lower unibody can be measured with X measurements from specs in the factory shop manual or online. Drill out all the spot welds carefully and replace with the equal amount of plug welds. Hopes this helps and good luck!
To add to this spot on suggestion, FYI you can substitute one of the concours reproduction export braces that Virginia Mustang sells for a much more expensive and hard to find 65/66 style export brace .The vast majority out there are 67-70 style(fit). The ones Brant sells are of as high of a quality and of as exact of appearance and measurements as a genuine original IMO. This is with my judges cap on as well as from practical bolt on experience.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 08:46:45 PM »
 Good advice.. I went the measurement method and rechecked my self SEVERAL times before doing the final welds. I used the factory support braces instead of an export brace. I would get the tower in place, tac weld after measuring, then checked all points of "contact" a few more times before moving on. Luckily, my car turned out fine and I was able to get a very good alignment out of it. The car actually drives the best out of all my Mustangs. :-)
 I welded the towers first , then the motor mount sections, the rear aprons, the front radiator support, and finally the front aprons. Hope this helps..
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline 65ptoGT

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 05:46:16 PM »
Thanks to all!  You've been very helpful and your points are truly appreciated.  Thanks for posting the pics too!

:)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 01:16:04 PM »
My advice: be very conscious of heat build-up.  Concentrating too much heat in one area could affect or change those perfect measurements.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967