Author Topic: 69 Dearborn Headlight Bucket Blackout  (Read 1745 times)

Offline 1970shelbyguy

69 Dearborn Headlight Bucket Blackout
« on: February 25, 2016, 05:04:03 PM »
 question for JEFF  -  did the 69  boss 302 headlight housing receive any blackout like the 70 dearborn lighter color mustangs get.   have you posted any pics of your fabulous 69 boss 302.  that would certainly help us wayward "restorers".-  for my friend's Calypso 69 Boss2
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:31:02 PM by J_Speegle »
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: top of headlight bucket assembly color
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 09:16:38 PM »
Wasn't a Boss thing but a 69 thing to black out the face (visible through the grill) and often paint got on the top and rear. Not to say that some might not have been missed but believe that was the intent. So now let us look at your specific 69 Dearborn question and examples that I can share. My Boss has been repainted so its no longer original - and I would rather used unrestored cars to illustrate the details.

With that said I've found examples done with black spray and black applied with a brush. This may indicate a change in practice or the fact that spray was typical and the brush was used if an inspector found that a painter had skipped this detail and the black paint brush was used to correct the mistake. Sort of the same thing we see some years and plants when the pinch weld it brushed.

So sprayed example. Likely choose too many examples but here they are. Faces around and in the inner headlights were the focus - the amount of over spray on the back side can vary as you can see

9F156xx

9F2169xx  You can just make out a little black overspray/misting on the mounting area

9F21697xx

9F2227xx  a Boss 302 example so ignore the blacked out outer headlight :)

Couple of examples on dark exterior color - in these examples Black Jade and the black out. Amount of sheen is the key when looking at these dark picture

And a brushed example -

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)