Non-Mustang Ford & Mercury Models > Mercury Models 1965-73

Power Steering Conversion

(1/3) > >>

MattDoscher:
I'm looking to convert my wife's '65 Comet Caliente from manual to power steering.  Her Comet has a column shifted automatic C-4, 200 straight 6, and no A/C.  Anyone happen to have a complete/mostly complete system off a 200 straight 6 they would be willing to part with?  I'm starting from scratch and would need everything (center link, idler arm, power cylinder, control valve, pump w/ brackets, 2-sheave pulleys for crank and water pump).

thanks,
Matt

Building 3:
Matt: I don't have the parts you are looking for but I do have a comment. I have driven Mustangs with factory power steering and manual steering converted to power. Actually I drove a conversion just a few weeks ago.  The conversion was done in the 1980's so the car has had it quite a while and the owner was happy with it. However, in my opinion, the manual to power conversion without a steering box change results in much too light steering feel.   Because the manual box is a little less than 5 turn lock-to-lock, adding power really results in a feathery feel. You can turn the steering wheel with one finger with no effort.  A much better result is obtained with also converting the box to the faster ratio power steering box which has a lock-to-lock of about 3.5 turns. No matter which way you go, make sure all of the steering and suspension components are in tip-top shape. It really makes a difference in the final result. That's my two cents.  Tom

MattDoscher:
Thanks Tom, I appreciate it.  So would the power steering box provide a little stiffer and less feathery feel compared to the manual steering box w/ the power conversion?

Building 3:
Yes it would since it is "only" about 3.5 turns from full stop to full stop compared with the manual at almost 5. When you add the power unit to the manual steering box you don't need much effort to turn the wheel.  Now, with that said, Ford did offer a Dealer installed power steering unit for the Mustang.  I have never figured out what was in the kit. Most importantly was the power steering box included or not? The answer to that question might help determine what Ford engineering thought was acceptable. Another point is that you want a good, no slop steering and suspension system, whether it is manual, power, or a manual to power conversion. The correct power steering box, if it is worn too much, won't give you acceptable results. Lastly, with the skinny biased-ply tires with a small contact patch, on the 1960's cars, the manual steering probably was not as bad as it is today with wider radial tires.  Also, customer expectations were a lot different in the 60's, so the manual steering was probably acceptable for most people. That's not the case today. Good luck no matter which way you decide to go.

MattDoscher:
Thanks Tom!

Matt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version