Author Topic: Scott Drake Headlight  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Scott Drake Headlight
« on: April 04, 2016, 12:52:19 AM »
I bought a set of the Drake Halogen headlights for my 69 and have had nothing but troubles.  First one of the low beams just up and died the second time I drove the car in the dark.  It took a month to get it replaced from Drake.  I ordered a replacement because I was tired of waiting for it.  This last weekend one of the high beams died, I had purchased a back up.  I put the back up one in and everything was working great until I pulled the pig tail out to re-route it and one of the spades on the bulb pulled free and stuck in the pigtail.  The thing didn't even look like it had been soldered. So out of six headlights I have had three of them fail with less than a hundred miles on them. I'm wondering if anybody else has had issues with these or if I may have some other electrical issue frying bulbs.

Thanks,
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline MattDoscher

Re: Scott Drake Headlight
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 05:45:10 PM »
Most of the halogen headlight concerns are due to amperage draw on the original headlight switch causing the headlights to flicker/flash on and off.  I had this happen on my '65 w/ Drake reproduction halogen bulbs.  I promptly returned them and found an original set of incandescent bulbs.

Save yourself the hassle and possible headlight electrical system damage by using the original type incandescent bulbs.
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 06:37:59 PM »
1969 quad OEM FoMoCo headlamps are fairly easy to find. Look on Cougars and Thunderbirds. With the hidden headlight doors, they were protected during daytime running.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 10:44:15 PM »
Thanks guys for the advice the cougars and mustangs are few a far between where I live here in ND.  There is one wrecking yard here that should have some thunderbirds sitting around.
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue