Author Topic: Fastback Trap door in black EDP coating. Prime before painting?  (Read 3948 times)

1967 eight barrel

I am going to be painting the reproduction trap door for my 1967 Shelby. It's in black EDP coating. Being the interior is Parchment, would it be wise to prime with a light colored primer for bleed through concerns?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 06:23:31 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 Trap door in black EDP coating. Prime before painting?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 02:38:28 PM »
I would not - in fact I would remove the black - both in a effort to maximize and match the grain with the surrounding panels and the original.

Just what has worked for me
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 11:55:21 PM »
Jeff, So I should have the EDP removed and then etch prime lightly, or paint without a primer on the metal door?

-Keith

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 12:40:27 AM »
Keith,
Whatever it takes to maintain the grain, aka the texture, of the panel. And to maintain everybody's sanity, spell out abbreviations. EDP has a lot (yes it is TWO words) of meanings (70) in http://www.abbreviations.com/
(Electro Deposit Primer, although I liked Evil Dead Pony)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 01:13:07 AM »
The grain isn't too bad on the repro, however that may not be the case post prime and paint, being it's WHITE and there may be an issue with coverage because of the color being a little transparent.

-Keith

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 01:43:14 AM »
It's in black EDP coating. Being the interior is Parchment, would it be wise to prime with a light colored primer for bleed through concerns?
- being it's WHITE and there may be an issue with coverage because of the color being a little transparent.
We went from "black", to be "parchment" as a final color, and now "white" "that's a little transparent".
Can we get a clarification?
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 01:54:23 AM »
The EDP coating is black. I have to paint it with the trim. It looks to be '66 white, V5766 I think the paint code is. This has been a struggle for some time trying to figure out what the story was with the color.  I didn't want to fill the grain with the light color over black, hence me question about priming before painting.

-Keith
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:00:53 AM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 02:55:01 PM »
Jeff, So I should have the EDP removed and then etch prime lightly, or paint without a primer on the metal door?
                                                                                           -Keith

I would remove the stuff that came on the piece but as mentioned that is how I do it. If you believe that a etch primer is needed then yes a light coat to promote a long lasting and nice final look is needed then go a head. I've always just laid the paint on the piece directly with no ill effects.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 05:35:03 PM »
Jeff,
If you say it's good to go with paint, I'm okay with that!  I saw no sign of primer on any interior items that were stripped, including the dash itself.
Thank you again for the information.
                                                                         -Keith

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 07:52:40 PM »
You could remove the coating, but that is a big pita as you can't use anything too rough or it disturbs the grain. I sandblasted the interior of my doors to maintain the grain. I then painted with reduced epoxy, mixed as a sealer. That makes it very thin, and it doesn't fill the grain. Keep in mind reducing the epoxy shortens the recoat window so you want to make sure you pay attention to that.

Even if you aren't going to remove the edp, you'll need to scuff it. Use a grey (fine) scotch brite or equivalent, then white epoxy mixed as above, then your color. I can't find any pictures of my door grain in the reduced epoxy, but here is the grain after the interior color.

1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 10:55:54 PM »
Be sure if you find an old door that you strip it.

I had no idea the back of a stock door appears to be zinc coated. I don't know the year coverage for this treatment but the blueish-silver tinge really stands out. Although coated, the rear has some rust that did not show under the paint. If you don't strip these all the way down you don't really know what's under there.

On the front grain side I also found bands of rust. It wasn't severe but again -- if you don't strip it you won't know what under the paint. The paint looked fine on the outside, but this was lurking underneath.

Added pic

After rust treatment it will be primed first with an etch primer.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:01:36 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline OldMil

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 04:00:08 PM »
What will you use for the final paint product?

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 05:32:18 PM »
I have to have some charcoal metallic mixed up. Various formulas on this forum, I thought.
(Sitting on a bench at a swap meet or I'd look).
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion