Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

65-67 Disc Brake Rotors 2 Piece Discussion

(1/3) > >>

WT8095:
These rotors and some others that have been posted have the word "CENTURY" cast into them. I wonder if that refers to Federal-Mogul's Century Foundry in St. Louis, where they manufactured brake rotors. Possibly F-M was supplying raw castings to Raybestos?

--- Quote ---Steve Smith’s The Lawrence Group plans a $104 million redevelopment of the Federal Mogul Century Foundry site, the latest large project in Midtown.
Smith plans to turn the property, 3700 Forest Park Ave., into a food market, office and retail space, and 250 residential units.
The Lawrence Group plans retail, office space and residential units at the Federal Mogul Century Foundry, 3700 Forest Park Ave.

Federal Mogul announced it would close the foundry, where brake parts were made, in 2007. It has sat vacant for years.
--- End quote ---

67gtasanjose:
Here is a picture of a "Made in China" aftermarket one more recently found, alongside one of my original ones.

I cannot speak for other variations however my original ones did NOT have the "Century" mark. Another "used rotor" I have on hand, NOT from my example, DOES have the "Century" cast into it (no balancing weights found on that example though) FWIW, the "Century rotor I have, had a different looking hub than the originals found on my '67 (11/66) San Jose example too. I am sure the two rotors I removed from my example are indeed original, not any service replacement. My thoughts are the "Century" rotors may have been service replacements. Others may disagree.

(notice the horseshoe shaped balancing weights welded in, located on the inside, near the hub)

sgl66:
Did Kelsey Hayes supply OE rotors for all 65-67 Mustangs?

67350#1242:
My understanding is that all 65-67 assemblyline rotors were K/H.  Originals I have or have seen all have the weights welded between the vanes.  They dont have any cast in markings on the rotor.  The rotor has the staggered vanes as seen from the inside and a "dog tooth" look when viewed from the outside.   Assemblyline K/H hubs have a distinct casting in that the outer hub center narrows down around the grease cap - this is cast in, not machined to be narrower. also there is a notch cast into the outer hub portion just outboard of one of the studs.  A hole (1/4" to 5/16") is drilled thru the hub in one spot.  Studs are marked K/H on the heads.  Hubs also have casting numbers and K/H cast into the backside facing the rotor.

I Have seen Wagner, Raybestos, and Ford service rotors all with similar cast in markings - Century   Minimum Thickness 0.780 and other numbers like R6004.   Always wondered about the Century mark and its interesting that FM had a Century foundry in St Louis.  I suspect you are right in that they supplied castings to several other brands including those sold as Ford service parts.

The hubs on these service pieces no longer had the narrow portion by grease cap - also no notch or hole.  Service hubs had a machined outer circumference whereas the K/H were raw casting in that area and not machined.  I believe they were machine balanced because had no balance weights in the vanes.   I have seen NOS K/H rotors that did not have the narrowing either.

Don't know if K/H ever supplied service rotors to Ford, if they did it was only for a short period.

The closing of the Century foundry in 2007 corresponds pretty much to the time when these 2 piece rotors became unavailable - they are all made in China now and are one piece.  Too bad for us (and the US)!

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: 67350#1242 on April 16, 2016, 03:55:16 PM ---Quote from 67gtasanJose
Here is a picture of a "Made in China" aftermarket one more recently found (on right side of image), alongside one of my original ones (on left of image).
I think you may have gotten the picture rotated 180   -  the orig. shows up on the right for me.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I now see that in the thumbnail but when I clip & open it, it is as described...I'll re-word my text siince I cannot see how the images open up for others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version