Author Topic: Need photo of trunk light wiring on left hinge  (Read 6546 times)

Offline BillEBobb

Need photo of trunk light wiring on left hinge
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:01:11 PM »
I'm in need of a photo that shows how the trunk light wiring loom is installed along the left trunk hinge (coupe or convertible) of a 69 SJ car.

Bill
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:42:20 PM by BillEBobb »

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
Re: Need photo of trunk light wiring on left hinge
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:44:29 PM »
I'm in need of a photo that shows how the trunk light wiring loom is installed along the left trunk hinge (coupe or convertible) of a 69 SJ car.

Is the strap that was used something similar to the a/c straps?  I can't locate this strap in any catalog.

Bill

Bill,

Here's a couple pics I took. It's a Boss, but I'm sure the routing is similar. If the pics don't show up for you, log into the darkside and look for my Oklahoma City Nationals post in the general discussion area. The database might require you be logged in.

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=210

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=211
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:47:15 PM by Sluggo »
MCA 55330 | 69 Mach1 | 427 Stroker | 29 Model A Murray Town Car | 4 Banger

Offline BillEBobb

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:16:33 AM »
Sluggo,

Thanks for posting those links!  I've got to say that yours is entirely different than I've seen before.

Do any of you have photos showing this routing treated differently?

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:18:15 PM »
What you see in the pics is how it's described in the Osborn assembly manual, with one difference: there's also a black plastic trim ring that fits in the hole where the wiring enters the deck lid. I imagine it's there to prevent chafing.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
What you see in the pics is how it's described in the Osborn assembly manual, with one difference: there's also a black plastic trim ring that fits in the hole where the wiring enters the deck lid. I imagine it's there to prevent chafing.

I understood the black ring to be a 1970 detail and not used in 1969.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline BillEBobb

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »

I'm very curious, which manual?  I couldn't find it in "Chassis" or in "Body."

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 08:52:52 PM »
I've got the diagram in the 1970 electrical assembly manual, page 515-3. It doesn't show that plastic ring, though, and I can't find a similar illustration in the MPC.  I might be mistaken.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline BillEBobb

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 09:53:33 PM »

Bill,

Here's a couple pics I took. It's a Boss, but I'm sure the routing is similar. If the pics don't show up for you, log into the darkside and look for my Oklahoma City Nationals post in the general discussion area. The database might require you be logged in.

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=210

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=211

Sluggo,

My car does not have the same "eyelet" where the lower end of your connection is held in place.  By chance, is the Boss a '70?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 11:26:13 PM »
Believe the plastic grommet is a later thing  and have seen plenty of original 70's without it

Unfortunately - for you- we seem to have allot more pictures of the trunk light on fastbacks/Mach I's than we do of coupes or convertibles. Sorry

Grandes seem to often have this option

69 San Jose Mach I

9R01H111615

9R01F125116

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 01:47:06 AM »
Sluggo,

My car does not have the same "eyelet" where the lower end of your connection is held in place.  By chance, is the Boss a '70?

No. It was a 69 Boss 429 that I grabbed some detail pics of when I was in Oklahoma City. Jeff, I'm sure seen the car as well.

My 69 mach has the option. It was in the trunk when I got the car but not installed. No sign of there ever being any kind of grommet.

Looking at Jeff's pictures, I'd guess the Coupes did not have the lower one. It was probably used on the fastbacks to keep the wire from chaffing or getting caught on the vertical support not present in the coupe.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:52:32 AM by Sluggo »

Offline BillEBobb

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 10:11:28 AM »
What is striking me as the most obvious (in-your-face) observation is that that wire just seems to "hang" in mid-air, unprotected from the possible collision with objects being put into the trunk!

As previously stated, the only other car I had seen with the trunk light option had the wire threaded through the same opening as the left hinge "arm" and was attached onto the concave side of the arm via ties that reminded me of the a/c hose ties used on the shock tower braces. This seems a "safer" way of protecting the wire -- obviously though, not concours correct.

Since coupes and convertibles don't have the lower "connecting point" where the plastic holder clips into like on fastbacks -- where DOES the wire connect at the bottom point in coupes and convertibles?

Bill

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 10:49:41 AM »
What is striking me as the most obvious (in-your-face) observation is that that wire just seems to "hang" in mid-air, unprotected from the possible collision with objects being put into the trunk!

As previously stated, the only other car I had seen with the trunk light option had the wire threaded through the same opening as the left hinge "arm" and was attached onto the concave side of the arm via ties that reminded me of the a/c hose ties used on the shock tower braces. This seems a "safer" way of protecting the wire -- obviously though, not concours correct.

Since coupes and convertibles don't have the lower "connecting point" where the plastic holder clips into like on fastbacks -- where DOES the wire connect at the bottom point in coupes and convertibles?

Bill

I'm going to guess that there is no other point other than where it joins the harness.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 06:57:21 PM »
The 1969 Osborn Electrical Assembly Manual details all three configurations.  The fastback configuration in the manual is like the pictures linked by BillEBobb.  The manual shows different details for all three; FB, coupe & 'vert.  In all cases, the clip part of the installation is described as "existing locators" which I think means the clips are already on the wire harness prior to installation.  The installed configuration on my coupe actually looks more like what is depicted for the 'vert.  Regardless, all three setups use two attaching clips; one where the wire enters the deck lid and one somewhere above the wheel house.

My coupe was missing the trunk light so I bought a couple of used ones.  Both had one clip still attached to the wire, but neither had the wheel house area clip on the wire.  Also, there was no "kink" in the wire to suggest that it ever had the style of clip shown in the FB photos.  For this reason, I used the clip style shown below to retain the wire above the wheel house (though I realize it may not be correct);

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline specialfinds

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 09:51:33 PM »
This is from an original 69 shelby april 69.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:59:45 PM by specialfinds »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 10:20:08 PM »
This is from an original 69 shelby april 69.

Must be a convertible - ;) since its single wire.

These differ in detail a bit since they were installed during the trunks assembly (before paint) and the Mustang after assembly and paint
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)