Author Topic: Spark plugs with and without stars  (Read 2671 times)

Offline preaction

Spark plugs with and without stars
« on: April 24, 2016, 01:11:48 PM »
I have a set of BF-32 autolite spark plugs with a 1966 date on the box of ten, which seems to not have stars on them. What is the story on plugs with and without the stars IIRC its a assembly line thing ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Spark plugs with and without stars
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 06:57:48 PM »
Boxes could be from years earlier than what is in them. Not unusual for some sellers to rebox parts unfortunatley. There seems to be allot of boxes with stars with no star plugs inside them over the years

An earlier thread discusses the star issue a little but more in relationship to the 65-66 period

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7797.msg44620#msg44620

Though it does not discuss the change over from one to another (start to no star)

There is also a couple of versions of the star sparkplug related to the number of "ribs" in the 1964 period and for early plugs some stamping on the metal base differences

Thought the change over from star to no start took place during 68 production but can't find notes right this moment to confirm that :(

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 11:15:13 AM »
Thought the change over from star to no start took place during 68 production but can't find notes right this moment to confirm that :(

Wasn't that the change from the Autolite star plugs to the Autolite with no star and marked 'Power Tip'?

I think what may be the question is the early style with the star and 'AUTOLITE', but some not having the star logo???
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 09:50:34 PM »
Here is our earlier discussion related to the star on Autolite spark plugs. Have we learned anything additional since then?

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12251.msg74433#msg74433

An "offshoot" discussion was started over on SAAC about the same time

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=29921.0

And the rib discussion

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=22310.0

Personally the whole box discussion means little to me - but that is just me ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:11:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 10:41:27 AM »
Jeff.

Now I'm just plain confused as to which spark plug is correct for 65/66 non hipo mustangs after reading all of those links.

Dumb it down for me just a little. PLEASE......   I have both 3 rib and 5 rib variations with stars in my collections of new and used BF42's

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 06:24:30 PM »
Jeff.

Now I'm just plain confused as to which spark plug is correct for 65/66 non hipo mustangs after reading all of those links.

Dumb it down for me just a little. PLEASE......   I have both 3 rib and 5 rib variations with stars in my collections of new and used BF42's

I'll find some pictures (always a good place to start ;), organize them and post then we can work through the changes and combined knowledge and try to come up with a current understanding in an easier to read format. Not overnight or easy but we don't look for the easy tasks - most of those have already been done   :)

Watch this spot
Jeff Speegle

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 05:20:32 PM »
Jeff,

Looking forward to anything you can find on this topic. I've been trying for a while to figure out where the non-star logo, non-Powertip plugs fit in but haven't found any kind of documentation so far.

Dave