Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

1967-up Black (Dark Charcoal) interior paint question

(1/3) > >>

travnemi:
Hey there,
   This is probably a dumb question. Is the black interior paint code for a 1967 mustang December 1966 San Jose build; Ditzler PPG 32586 Charcoal Black Poly? I was told the poly had metallic in the paint, so I wanted to make sure this is correct for the car.

Thanks for all your help,

Travis

J_Speegle:
The color (you'll find it listed in multiple threads this way) is often referred to as Dark Charcoal Metallic

And the paint code PPG/Ditzler #32586  is the one shown in period paint chip charts through the rest of the 60's for the Dark Charcoal interior color. That code may or not work any longer depending on where your located.

Yes there is very small flakes of metallic in the original product

travnemi:
Thanks Jeff,

I just got a little nervous about painting my interior that color. I didn't want the inside looking like a bass boat. But if that the way the black interiors where, I'll hand over this pain code to the painter.

Thanks,
Travis

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: travnemi on April 26, 2016, 07:15:43 PM --- I just got a little nervous about painting my interior that color. I didn't want the inside looking like a bass boat.
--- End quote ---

LOL - nope not metal flake like bass boats nor Imron paints jobs of the 80's with the giant flakes  :o- metallic. Almost not noticeable (like the gray tone) except from the right angle and light.  In the old guns always use to through in a new 1/2" nut to keep the metal flake stirred up in the reservoir

--- Quote from: travnemi on April 26, 2016, 07:15:43 PM ---But if that the way the black interiors where, I'll hand over this pain code to the painter.

--- End quote ---

Think you'll want to share with him the starting with a thin base of black paint before the charcoal as mentioned in the other threads here on the site

travnemi:
Thanks Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version