Author Topic: Worth restoring?  (Read 5114 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Worth restoring?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 08:30:40 PM »
That's what worries me; the loss of original sheet metal. Not sure how much of a deal breaker that is points wise or value wise.

Engine block and rear-end can be tracked down over time.

Should I look for a donor car made before the build date to solve the sheet metal issue?

Repairs and how they were handled can effect the future value depending on the details and the potential buyers but choosing the best may reduce the impact.

Allot depends on IMHO how much needs to be repaired/replaced. Some are patching as much as possible in an effort to retain the factory attachment welds and dates. Where complete panels need replacing a car with similar dates may be your best choice. In many cases, depending on the panels needed, an easier to find coupe may be all you need- something to consider and often what remains after you get the panel you need may still have value to another owner/shop going through the same process.

Know a number of people on the site that have chosen this path in their high end restorations.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Raul-7

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 06:32:43 PM »
Repairs and how they were handled can effect the future value depending on the details and the potential buyers but choosing the best may reduce the impact.

Allot depends on IMHO how much needs to be repaired/replaced. Some are patching as much as possible in an effort to retain the factory attachment welds and dates. Where complete panels need replacing a car with similar dates may be your best choice. In many cases, depending on the panels needed, an easier to find coupe may be all you need- something to consider and often what remains after you get the panel you need may still have value to another owner/shop going through the same process.

Know a number of people on the site that have chosen this path in their high end restorations.

Does it need to be the exact same build date or prior?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »
Does it need to be the exact same build date or prior?

Since it's a 67 (rather than a 65-66) we know that your car was completed Feb 6th so IMHO you don't have as much "wiggle room". In addition to this, finding a car with codes in your general range is not going to be easy but the safe thing is to start the search with cars with similar VINs (same plant) as your car or lower sequential number. You can find a car built later than yours with some panels that might be dated in the range for you but others will likely be after the Feb 6th date or very close so to be on the safe side  - focus on or before.

Your next step will be locating as many dates on the unibody panels of your car and documenting them. You'll need them for comparison purposes once you start considering cars . They are everywhere so have fun

Good luck with your search
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 11:28:21 PM »
How much of the work are you doing yourself? How much are you paying for this project?. That answer you can keep to yourself, just food for thought on the total project. I do my own work as a hobby, that is the only way I could get a dream car, 1969 Cyclone Spoiler II. It was passed by others, but fit my ticket. Still have tons of money in it. 3/4 of the sheetmetal had to be replaced and everything else has been changed because I am doing the best concours I can. The end result is a car I am happy with. Would you be happy? This hobby should really be about what YOU want, if you want to make money than it is a business not a hobby or to make you happy. My 2 cents.