Author Topic: Unrestored - Late 68 Torino Formal Roof  (Read 1335 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Unrestored - Late 68 Torino Formal Roof
« on: May 04, 2016, 06:52:08 PM »
Disclaimer: :) As always we need to warn that unrestored does not always mean unaltered by previous owners. Just because this car has/had a specific detail does not mean your car was built just the same. Always do your research, document your findings and make the best choice for you and your expectations.

This example has had some of the original parts replaced by service and aftermarket items - mostly the normal stuff that wears out or needs replacement from use - battery, shocks, master cylinder... for example. Since I can't remember where I found these we only offer a partial  VIN 8K44F2027xx ;)

Hope the sharing of these will help all of our understanding of these cars and foster some discussions.  Looks like a very nice unrestored example and pictures always seem to show some interesting things that might be seeds for good discussions and/or provide some info for members with similar cars. Enjoy

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Interesting to see some of the tie-ins with the Mustang line. Should be expected. I noticed the passenger side sparkplug wire divider/holder that has been discussed on the site as well as a number of other details

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Smokey 15

Re: Unrestored - Late 68 Torino Formal Roof
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 07:28:19 PM »
 Nice!  You seem to have a way of finding these cars.  Thank You for sharing.   

Offline preaction

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 11:05:02 AM »
I never saw two heater valves on a fire wall. Thanks Jeff.
8R02S125064- January 6 1968  SJ   7F93S591808 - April 28 1967  Dearborn   7F91S544039 - December 17 1966 Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 05:54:28 PM »
I never saw two heater valves on a fire wall. Thanks Jeff.

Yes odd - looking at it from our (Mustang) outlook. Not sure of the purpose but sure there was one.
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 07:52:49 PM »
Yes odd - looking at it from our (Mustang) outlook. Not sure of the purpose but sure there was one.

The heater core has three connections - two inlets and one outlet. The '68 shop manual shows the dual valve, but doesn't explain it very well. The manual does have a "truth table" of control settings, which shows the various on & off combinations of two valves were used to better control the temperature of the hot blend air. At least that's what I can determine without hours of research...
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Online krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 12:05:22 PM »
Have seen that style of master cylinder cap on first generation Cougars too. Service replacement?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 03:23:54 PM »
Have seen that style of master cylinder cap on first generation Cougars too. Service replacement?

Believe that is a AMC (American Motors Corp - Rambler ;) style master cylinder. When you went down (likely still can) and purchase a rebuilt master cylinder at the parts store you can/could often be given one of these. Since they fit and worked the companies that rebuilt the cylinders just gave them all the same replacement numbers to increase inventory and reduce having to carry two types. Not IMHO a Ford replacement nor original though we have had a few owners over the years claim they were but they were not original owners.  Some of these have been on cars since the 70-early 80's so some can get mislead

Blue jack base and mechanism is the one that has me puzzled
Jeff Speegle