Author Topic: 67 Hood Turn Signal Lamp Harness, Early & Late  (Read 4213 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 67 Hood Turn Signal Lamp Harness, Early & Late
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 08:22:27 AM »
I can not say for certain but the last one may be a 69.

Agreed, I've not seen that one on a 67 or 68 before...I also wondered about it fitting a 69 or maybe Torino or likes with the hood scoop signals.

I do know there are two versions of the GT headlight harness (disregarding tach and non-tach dash versions).  One has the built-in two prong plug for the hood lamp harness close to the firewall grommet and one that does not.  I believe the latter is the rarer version, and that requires a full harness from the headlamps to the hood lamps. Is this part of what you're referring to as early and late turn signal lamp harnesses?
I don't think I have an example.  I may be confused...I do know that there are two variants of the headlight harnesses, though.  Could one version be integral to the headlight harness and the other version not integral, but both mate to the hood turn signal harness?  It's been a while since I ran across this problem...I seem to remember I had to replace a customer's headlight harness with one that had the plug built in for the hood harness.  His original harness was too far gone for refurbishment, so I replaced it with one from my stock but it didn't come with that hood plug, not knowing that there were those with and without the hood plug.

I have at least three hood turn harnesses in various conditions, but really never compared them.  If any body wants, I can take photos for the group.  Some have the clips in place on the harness itself.

Recently (maybe 6 months ago), somebody was discussing a seperate harness used for the turn lights on a newer Mustang (say a 69?) and was looking for this seperate harness between the headlight area and the cowl area to power those hood scoop turn lights. Maybe this is was you were remembering? I'm not well schooled on the 69-up variants. Never needed to work on this detail yet.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 09:15:43 AM »
Pertaining to ONLY the plastic harness holder that SOME examples have on the cowl, I haven't noticed yet that the later 67-68 version with the plastic sheathing has ever used this wiring holder. Some examples do not even have a wiring holder on the hood itself either. Not sure what this means at this time but it looks more like some workers may have simply tore off the holders and didn't use them or some suppliers didn't put them on the harness. The holder when present, looks to be secured with the ground wire. This could be the "why", maybe there were issues arising with poor grounds for the lights?

Here are copies of pictures a few people have shared so far (this thread & other thread):
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:23:33 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 10:29:29 AM »
I have in my possession an original late 67 or 68 version known to be removed from a 68 way back in the mid-80's.

I hope it helps others, it looks most like the current reproduction versions available today on the market.
Not much help for us early 67 owners. Measurements are all taken from the plug-in end on out. Wire color codes are Green with White tracer for Lt. Turn light and White w/Blue tracer for Rt. Turn Light. (Original wiring holders for a 68 are also pictured from 4 angles)

For the early versions, I purchased the harness in the FIRST picture that Randy (aka Midlife) posted earlier in this thread and once I receive it, I will post similar pictures with measurements.

It would be VERY nice to see the other early versions become available one day...or at least one that closer matches up to the early versions.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:36:32 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 08:46:04 AM »
Richard,

I have the one from reply #6 car 7F1291xx in my possession.   I could offer that up to be used to make a reproduction, but it is pretty beat up.  I might have one that is better, need to check. John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 01:03:51 PM »
Richard,

I have the one from reply #6 car 7F1291xx in my possession.   I could offer that up to be used to make a reproduction, but it is pretty beat up.  I might have one that is better, need to check. John

It is possible to use it as a wiring pattern and with other example details provided, the other issues maybe can be resolved.

Will let you know once I talove to Jim at A/M again next week
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 02:48:17 PM »
I have in my possession an original late 67 or 68 version known to be removed from a 68 way back in the mid-80's.

I hope it helps others, it looks most like the current reproduction versions available today on the market.
Not much help for us early 67 owners. Measurements are all taken from the plug-in end on out. Wire color codes are Green with White tracer for Lt. Turn light and White w/Blue tracer for Rt. Turn Light. (Original wiring holders for a 68 are also pictured from 4 angles)

For the early versions, I purchased the harness in the FIRST picture that Randy (aka Midlife) posted earlier in this thread and once I receive it, I will post similar pictures with measurements.

It would be VERY nice to see the other early versions become available one day...or at least one that closer matches up to the early versions.

I see I never responded to this claim I would measure the harness when it arrived.  I will try to locate it again and I will also try and post images of the one I made up using a new Alloy Metal harness, replacing the vinyl version of conduit with new cloth/tar conduit piece swapped into it's place.
Richard Urch