Author Topic: Will '65-66 OEM disc brakes fit a '67?  (Read 2114 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Will '65-66 OEM disc brakes fit a '67?
« on: May 31, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »
I have a friend who's selling the OEM front suspension out from under his wrecked '66 GT fastback.  It's a real GT, so it came with manual disc brakes.  He's wanting to sell basically the entire front suspension and the rearend.  From what I understand, he's selling: Front spindles, front coil springs, entire brake setup (new rotors, original calipers have been re-sleeved with stainless steel sleeves), all of the steering components (tie rods, drag link, etc.).  I'm assuming he also has the upper and lower control arms.

I'm mainly interested in the disc brakes for my '67 coupe, which is a manual drum brake car now.  Will any of this '65-66 stuff work on a '67, or is it worth bothering with?  Aside from the rearend, which is narrower than a '67 rearend, how much of this is '65-66 specific? 

Also, does anyone have an estimate of what all of this would be worth?  The way the owner described it, it's basically everything you'd need to convert a 6-cyl '65-66 car to the V8 suspension.  He wouldn't give me a price, and I'm not sure what to offer.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Will '65-66 OEM disc brakes fit a '67?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 07:22:07 PM »
The calipers, rotors, shields and caliper brackets are bolt-on parts.  The '66 brake hose will have a smaller inlet than '67.  Some other differences in the calipers, but are basically interchangeable.

The rest of the parts can't be used... you'll need a dual reservoir disc brake master cylinder and rear proportioning valve, which is reproduced.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:08:35 PM »
The calipers, rotors, shields and caliper brackets are bolt-on parts.  The '66 brake hose will have a smaller inlet than '67.  Some other differences in the calipers, but are basically interchangeable.

The rest of the parts can't be used... you'll need a dual reservoir disc brake master cylinder and rear proportioning valve, which is reproduced.

I seem to remember that some early 67's had the same brake hose sizes as the 66's. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 01:10:29 AM »

Early 67's used the 65/66 style calipers and hoses. At least at SJ plant.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 03:42:08 PM »
Thanks for the input, everyone.  Any ideas on what I should offer?

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 08:47:24 PM »
Also, is there a different brake pedal for disc brakes?