Author Topic: Publications on finishes  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Philma

Publications on finishes
« on: June 01, 2016, 01:28:20 PM »
So I have looked around on the this site but I did not find what I am looking for. Can anyone suggest some, or possibly the best publications that cover finishes?
I look through the discussions and they are very helpful, but it would be nice to have a resource on hand that specifies particular parts and their finish requirements.

Thanks in advance!
66 Fastback GT
6T09A16XXXX
Silver Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Publications on finishes
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 03:40:47 PM »
There is no one publications that will list every finish for every year and plant. Read BIG task and we're learning everyday.

Basic list (though it will list all unpainted surfaces as "natural") is available through MCA  or if you have a Shelby and know someone with a judging sheet SAAC more recent rules where you'll find some platings

Of course everything can't be easy nor simply purchased of you want things correct  ;) if it was easy to restore everyone could do it :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 04:12:08 PM »
There is no one publications that will list every finish for every year and plant. Read BIG task and we're learning everyday.
Basic list (though it will list all unpainted surfaces as "natural") is available through MCA  or if you have a Shelby and know someone with a judging sheet SAAC more recent rules where you'll find some platings
There are many documents that are available that are of use. The "AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners, 1966- 73" (lists 99 percent of Mustang hardware and has a comprehensive list of finish codes); a set of Osborn Assembly manuals for your year Mustang (shows assembly line sub-assemblies and attaching hardware - 95 percent correct); an AMK Parts catalog (used to see what is currently available).
Those are the starting documents. Several "how-to" books exist but they are mostly based on Ford Service parts, an after the fact list.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 06:20:22 PM »
There are many documents that are available that are of use. The "AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners, 1966- 73" .......................

Guess I was assuming that the PO was looking for a list specific to their vehicle and over looked the basic hardware piece = equals this finish utility of this book and others. Seem to recall the Ford Utility Hardware book is being reproduced/republished for the 60's again also

Thanks Jim for reminding us (and my overlooking it :) this helper
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Philma

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 09:04:47 AM »
Thanks everyone, this gives me a good place to start. I have owned this car since the early 80's and it has been stored since 87. Because the previous owners kept extensive records and receipts (which they passed along) I have record of various parts and paints that were purchased, so I know a lot of parts were just painted black, like the hood springs. My goal is to remove the paint where needed and restore to a factory equivalent finish. The guy that did this wasn't worried about keeping it original, he was just trying to make it look clean for his local car shows at the time. The discussions here are great and I can usually find my answers here, but having some publications on hand would be an asset.
Jeff you are correct about "being easy or simply purchased", It would be faster and easier but what's the challenge to that, other than a big bank account?
66 Fastback GT
6T09A16XXXX
Silver Blue