Author Topic: "Showboards" used at MCA shows?  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
"Showboards" used at MCA shows?
« on: June 14, 2016, 09:42:48 AM »
I'm bringing my recently completed "Skyway Mustang" to the Niagara show in July.  This will be my first MCA show since 1979.(!)  I know that A LOT has changed in all that time.  Am I allowed to have a showboard that explains some history of the car.  It will be entered in the Concours Trailered class.  With some of the quirky things this car has on it I'd like to let people know what it is. TIA
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: "Showboards" used at MCA shows?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 09:49:30 AM »
have you asked this over on the mca site?? show rule #9 says they are prohibited in certain classes.......but after judging i see no harm in promoting what that car is/was. just my opinion but i would clear it with the show folks so as to avoid any conflicts. i can't wait to see it in person!
5F09C331248

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 09:55:12 AM »
This is the first time asking this question.  With all the knowledge here I figured someone would have the correct answer.  This site is like home! :)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 10:24:32 AM »
At our MCA regionals, show boards or any other displays around any Concours and other judged classes are prohibited.  They are allowed in the classes that are people's choice type voting.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Online caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »
I see no issue with displaying the show board before and after the judging.  Just be sure to check with the MCA head judge.  There may be concerns about the display blowing over and possibly hurting spectators/owners or damaging cars.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 12:16:16 PM »
I see no issue with displaying the show board before and after the judging.  Just be sure to check with the MCA head judge.  There may be concerns about the display blowing over and possibly hurting spectators/owners or damaging cars.

That would be fine I think.  Just make sure it is all removed the day of judging.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 02:21:50 PM »
On Friday and Sunday, you can have the sign out all day.  On Saturday, when judging begins, the sign must be put away.  However, once you know your car has been judged (indicated by the dot placed on your dashcard), you can put the sign out.  But, please secure it well so it doesn't damage any cars if it gets knocked over by people or wind, including your own.  I always put my informational signs in the trunk, unless there is a full space next to me.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

MCA National Show Committee Chairman

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 11:13:02 PM »
Seen some ugly damage to owners and neighbors cars. Have moved or removed my cars if the guy next door had a questionable display and they didn't respond to a kind request. Trophy was never worth the hassle nor problems IMHO. Will admit that I did use and display one with a modified in the 90's  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 09:16:55 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I never thought about the board turning into flying object that could wreck someone's car.  :o
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I never thought about the board turning into flying object that could wreck someone's car.  :o

Probably why accidents are called accidents  ;)
I would think best way would be to tether it to the ground (ropes & spiral stakes on soil/earth surfaces) Bricks would be a real pain to tote & lug around for other surfaces (gravel/pavement).
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 12:59:23 PM »
I use the small toolbox that I carry in my coupe as a weight for mine.  Has always worked well.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

MCA National Show Committee Chairman

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 01:36:21 PM »
A couple of years back at a local car show, a gust of wind picked up the club's popup and it scratched a nearby car being showed. Insurance covered the damage. The point in this is to do a bit of preventative action, like tying the popup down (difficult on a blacktop parking lot - weights at each leg works), no large signs except attached to participant's car and restricting the use of participant's umbrellas and popups on the show field. Most of those are not enforced so I expect another car or two to get "scratched".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 02:08:08 PM »
A guy in our club makes them and the base is held down by the front tire of the car. It will never blow in to a car.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 02:12:07 PM »
A guy in our club makes them and the base is held down by the front tire of the car. It will never blow in to a car.

"Tornado Alley Tested" Can't beat that!  8)  :D
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Josep

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 09:42:24 AM »
I would think best way would be to tether it to the ground (ropes & spiral stakes on soil/earth surfaces) Bricks would be a real pain to tote & lug around for other surfaces (gravel/pavement).

Here, I have not many opportunities to go to shows, just a couple of them are held over the year and almost always the same people because this is a small place but, the only time I was in a show I put my showboard inside the car, in the windshield. I think everybody could read the info and impossible to fly away. Also can be put in the windows, either inside or outside, a small ball of blu-tac will attach it and can be easy to remove.
My 2

Josep
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 09:49:26 AM by Josep »
1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - C4 - Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose built June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn built September 9th 1965 - DSO 36