Author Topic: Group 24F Battery Terminal Marking  (Read 2183 times)

Offline OldMustangGuy

Group 24F Battery Terminal Marking
« on: June 14, 2016, 12:06:14 PM »
Has anyone developed a good process for stamping a "+" sign on the positive terminal of a repro battery?  There are a lot of obvious possibilities but you only get one shot at it so I'd like to hear what others might have done.

Thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Group 24F Battery Terminal Marking
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:15:07 PM »
Know guys that had a machine shop make a metal/steel stamp for the purpose. Have never seen them available for purchase and you have to be careful not to mushroom the top of the terminal. Have seen some use screwdrivers or other straight tools (struck twice) but most of the time you can tell what has been done
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 12:44:08 PM »
Just took a pass at my battery using the screw driver method.  Post lead is pretty soft so doesn't take much of a tap.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 01:01:46 PM »
That actually looks pretty good...what size of screwdriver did you use?   I have a few old dead batteries sitting around that I can practice on!

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 01:14:10 PM »
Well I just used my good eye and eye balled it.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Online jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 01:28:03 PM »
We used a large "heated" screwdriver (propane torch) to get the plus mark. We practiced on a dead battery, wound up with a battery clamp to prevent terminal "mushrooming" and scored the terminal first to give a guide where to do it. Had to do some touch up on the cross part. Ah memories, that was many years ago.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 10:25:55 PM »
Doing it with a clamp on it is a great idea...I wonder if you could do a little touch up to the "two pass" screwdriver approach by using a dremel cutting wheel...you would obviously have to have surgeon like precision but it might be a good way to knock down the little burr that is present from the cross cut.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 04:27:23 PM »
Doing it with a clamp on it is a great idea...I wonder if you could do a little touch up to the "two pass" screwdriver approach by using a dremel cutting wheel...you would obviously have to have surgeon like precision but it might be a good way to knock down the little burr that is present from the cross cut.

Think the curve up ends (for lack of a different term) might be noticeable
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)