Author Topic: phosphate oil coating container questions  (Read 2001 times)

Offline JeffD

phosphate oil coating container questions
« on: June 21, 2016, 06:59:36 PM »
THe only thing i am trying to figure out is what to use to heat up the solution. all the videos ive seen show a large stainless steel container - something that looks like an industrial kitchen sink that was scrapped. what have yall used? i can get something for the smaller bolts and latches but looking for something for larger parts.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 08:42:14 PM by carlite65 »
Jeff Deaton
64 1/2 D-Code - in progress way too long....
Body   65A   Color M   Interior 56   
Date 15G   DSO 24   Axle 1   Trans 6

Offline jwc66k

Re: phospahte oil coating container questions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 07:14:10 PM »
Did you read this?
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4624.0
It's called "Phosphating 101".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline JeffD

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 07:29:16 PM »
yeah - was reading through there - saw the restaurant supply part and those pans... i know of a store near me and will check them out but couldnt see if aluminum would work too.

do you think the Chinese buffet will notice if i walk out with a pan?

the longest part i have is a center link and its about 30" long - looks like i could swap ends but would prefer to not do that.. admittedly i was hoping for someone to respond with "hey - walmart throws these out all the time" or something like that.
Jeff Deaton
64 1/2 D-Code - in progress way too long....
Body   65A   Color M   Interior 56   
Date 15G   DSO 24   Axle 1   Trans 6

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »
the longest part i have is a center link and its about 30" long - looks like i could swap ends but would prefer to not do that..
I bought an 18 inch long, used fish poaching, stainless steel tank on e-bay for $20. There's the tank. When the bath is ready, dip one end for 20 seconds, remove, dip the other end for 20 seconds, repeat for at least 2 minutes. DON'T FORGET TO SEAL THE BALL COUPLING. In other words, go back and read "Tip and Tricks" (reply #9) otherwise you will have a mess.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline BKnapp

Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: phosphate oil coating container questions
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 12:16:56 AM »
Buffet or steam pans (stainless) is what your seeing

Available in full half or quarter size and two depths

Larger containers can be made but those are the off the shelf pans many use
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 12:08:53 PM »
Not quite as long as you want, but could this work?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/full-size-standard-weight-anti-jam-stainless-steel-steam-table-hotel-pan-4-deep/4070049.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CjwKEAjwy6O7BRDzm-Tdub6ZiSASJADPNzYr0uuchbJkC9-xBOfMepr_38adt-lAvjrvpZh3vDlbexoCrjnw_wcB
Some thoughts: This pan will work but it uses a lot of water and chemicals. The one I use is 9.3 quarts, the same width, the same depth but is 14 inches long. The measurements are outside dimensions. It is large enough to do hood hinges, hood latches and upper "A" arms. A center link is 27 inches long. You would need a tank 25 by 11.5 inches (inside measurements) to fully immerse the center link. The alternative is as I described, do one end then the other.
Jim

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 03:17:22 PM »
Jim, have you tried using PVC pipe for center links and other long parts? It's quite acid-resistant; we use it for cleaning medical parts in a very strong nitric/HF solution. I haven't tried it with phosphoric acid though.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
Dave,
The phosphate solution must be at almost boiling temperature for several minutes. A PVC container don't make it. And why bother when I can pick up one end and then dip the other.
Jim