Author Topic: Bright Dip Anodizing or New Chrome Paint Process ~ Matching NOS  (Read 1232 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Working on some chrome around the grille area on a 67 but this crosses over many years.

I have most every piece needed in NOS except for one piece (thin right side grille hockey stick molding)
I have a decent used molding with a small scrape that looks easily dressed up to prepair for refinishing.
I've been hunting the final piece for about a year and just recently passed on an overpriced PAIR because I only needed just the one part.

Here is my question:
1.) If I have just one molding sent out to a chrome shop that does Bright Dip Anodizing, is it likely to look different (finish) than the rest? (understand this process is very expensive, maybe send the pair?)
2.) Has anyone tried other options on such a part, using the more recent technology of chrome painting? (would like a personal experience on this subject, not just a link to a website's advertising please)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Bright Dip Anodizing or New Chrome Paint Process ~ Matching NOS
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 03:41:09 PM »
Here is my question:
1.) If I have just one molding sent out to a chrome shop that does Bright Dip Anodizing, is it likely to look different (finish) than the rest? (understand this process is very expensive, maybe send the pair?)

Yes would expect that you should be able to visually see the difference. How much difference is going to depend on allot of things so it may be great or very little

2.) Has anyone tried other options on such a part, using the more recent technology of chrome painting? (would like a personal experience on this subject, not just a link to a website's advertising please)

Have seen the stuff in person and I would not consider using these products nor process to try and reproduce the look. To me the stuff looks too much like power coating since it adds a thickness and where one piece of molding slips into another it will chip and flake I would expect

Just one opinion/observation
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)