Author Topic: 66 Hertz car  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
66 Hertz car
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:06:28 AM »
I am working on a 66 Hertz car.   The side scoop on the drivers side seemed to be attached from when it was built. The right side was off the car as it was hit in that area.   You can see that the holes where the front part of the scoop mounts are fairly large.  Top and bottom. The back half was glued with a seam sealer that was white.   The fine thread screw with a lock nut was holding it on at the front, same screws top and bottom.  One of the original screws I removed is pictured.   That screw seems odd to me.  The car is #2125     Any thoughts on these screws?   What is normal?  Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:09:00 AM by Armond »
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 66 Hertz car
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:26:58 AM »
I am working on a 66 Hertz car.   The side scoop on the drivers side seemed to be attached from when it was built. The right side was off the car as it was hit in that area.   You can see that the holes where the front part of the scoop mounts are fairly large.  Top and bottom. The back half was glued with a seam sealer that was white.   The fine thread screw with a lock nut was holding it on at the front, same screws top and bottom.  One of the original screws I removed is pictured.   That screw seems odd to me.  The car is #2125     Any thoughts on these screws?   What is normal?  Thanks for any help.
they were held on with rivets not screws. they hardware you show was most likely added during collision repair that you referenced.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Armond

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 04:04:33 AM »
That's what I would have thought, but the car though it had damage on the passenger side, was original paint.  There were no rivets nor any past holes for rivets.  The scoops and quarter panels show only the two front holes and the glue/sealer.  I thought maybe at this point they were getting cheap.   I was hoping a hertz car out there close this one may have the same mounting system.  But of course I would like to go back with what is normal.  I have done a few 66 Shelby's and this is the only car I have seen like this. 
MCA#31064

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 05:36:09 PM »
Agree - Have only seen and taken tons of pictures of original cars with rivets and dark sealer in that location.

Rivets (some with washers in locations) = normal or typical
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Armond

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 07:48:52 PM »
Ok, Thanks for the info Bob and Jeff.
MCA#31064